Alchemy is a skill tree appearing in The Elder Scrolls Online. An alchemist can create potions, consumable items, from ingredients using alchemy recipes combining natural reagents growing in the world with a water solvent at an alchemy station. All reagents have hidden traits which determine a potion's effects. Similar traits from different reagents must be combined to bring out a potion's magical qualities. Sometimes a trait that gives a potion a beneficial effect can also have a negative counterpart. If the wrong reagents are mixed together, they might cancel each other out. A skilled alchemist learns to experiment to find the combinations that will give the best results.
Mixing certain ingredients together can produce either beneficial, harmful, or a combination of both, effects in potions that imbue a temporary boost or loss to the drinker's statistics. An example is armor potion, which raises the Vestige's armor rating while lowering the vestige's weapon damage.
Leveling tips on alchemyEdit
- Investing 30 Champion Points into The Tower constellation will increase the crafting inspiration by 20%. Therefore, leveling crafting skills will require less materials and time.
- An active ESO Plus membership also grants additional inspiration.
- A Skill Point should be spent on Solvent Proficiency every ten Alchemy levels. Using the highest level solvent possible will greatly increase the experience gained, however, if the player's current character level is not high enough he may not be able to use the potions crafted.
- Poison solvents are much easier to farm than potion solvents, they are dropped by Trolls, Ogres, Giants, Mammoths and minor Daedra such as Scamps. Shatul Wayshrine in Wrothgar (Online), Gurzag's Mine in western Greenshade and City of Ash are good spots to farm poison solvents.
- Keen Eye: Reagents pasive skill is useful to obtain crafting materials.
- Fleshfly Larva, Beetle Scuttle, Scrib Jelly, Spider Egg and Mudcrab Chitin are some of the easiest reagents to farm. They can also be bought at Guild Traders at a relatively reduced price. Some cheap reagent conbinations are Beetle Scuttle + Fleshfly Larva, Beetle Scuttle + Mudcrab Chitin or Scrib Jelly + Spider Eggs.
- Players should make sure to always use reagents that will make a potion, as failed potions (no yield) will give very little experience.
- Discovering new traits results in slightly more experience gain.
- Crafting with two reagents or three reagents yields the same amount of experience.
- All of the crafting skills in Online are passive skills.
- Reagents may be found by harvesting plant nodes throughout Tamriel. They may also be bought and sold on the guild's auction houses.
- These may be discovered through a taste test, which will reveal one of the four effects of each reagent.
They may also be discovered through a trial and error process of combining them to discover potion recipes as well as effects. The effects of all the Alchemy reagents can be seen in Reagents.
Potion solvents can be collected alongside bodies of water labeled "Pure Water." It can also be collected via Water Skin sacks that can be found along shores, roads, camps, and caves. Poison solvents can be acquired as a loot from certain enemies.
- Potion recipes can be learned through trial & error combinations of reagents. The solvent used will determine the user level for the potion.