Alteration is a magic arts skill that involves the manipulation of parts of the physical world and its natural properties. It includes the ability to walk on water and breathe it, open locks, shield oneself from physical and magical damage, and alter a target's encumbrance. The Cheydinhal Mages Guild specializes in Alteration.
- Governing attribute: Willpower
- Shield (general)
- Water Breathing
- Water Walking
A 'Lock' Spell is listed in the construction set (Easy/Average Lock) with several warnings saying DO NOT USE. Possibly to avoid interference in a script where an NPC is supposed to open a chest or door.
Alteration spell merchants and trainersEdit
Books that permanently increase the Alteration skillEdit
- Daughter of the Niben
- The Dragon Break
- Reality & Other Falsehoods
- The Lunar Lorkhan - Two Sides of the Coin
Alteration leveling tipsEdit
- Casting a weak Open Lock spell on a door with high-level lock increases your Alteration indefinitely. Some purists believe this is in fact cheating, or at least manipulating.
- Casting any Open Lock spell on any door (even not locked) works as well. Doesn't count as a crime, if you use it in cities
- You can also cast a small Protect/Shield spell on yourself over and over.
You have unlocked more arcane secrets of Altering the fabric of reality. You can now cast Apprentice level Alteration spells.
You have unlocked more arcane secrets of Altering the fabric of reality. You can now cast Journeyman level Alteration spells.
You have unlocked more arcane secrets of Altering the fabric of reality. You can now cast Expert level Alteration spells.
You have unlocked more arcane secrets of Altering the fabric of reality. You can now cast Master level Alteration spells.
When one's Alteration skill is 70 or higher, NPCs will say "You look skilled in Alteration. Perhaps you can teach me a bit."
Any character can benefit from the effects of a shield spell, especially those that wear little to no armor.