Once reaching an Alteration level of 90, speaking with Tolfdir will reveal an option regarding learning more about Alteration magic. Select it, and Tolfdir will mention that he may be able to help if provided with dragon heartscales. However, the only weapon able to procure heart scales from a dragon is Kahvozein's Fang, prompting Tolfdir to ask the Dragonborn to retrieve the weapon.
Finding Kahvozein's FangEdit
Due to Skyrim's radiant quest system, there are several locations in which the dagger may spawn. Volskygge, Ragnvald, High Gate Ruins and Forelhost are the most likely locations, but others may be possible.
Retrieving the HeartscalesEdit
Once Kahvozein's Fang is obtained, it must be equipped in the right hand (it does not work when equipped in the left hand), then examine a dragon's corpse (it does not matter whether it has been recently slain or previously killed). This will eventually yield dragon heartscales.
It is possible to gather heartscales from a dragon that has been turned to ash.
Bring the heartscales back to Tolfdir, and he will reward the Dragonborn's efforts with the spell tome Dragonhide, which allows one to ignore 80% of all physical damage for 30 seconds. In addition, the spell tome Mass Paralysis becomes available for purchase upon completion of the quest.
|Alteration Ritual Spell – MGRitual05|
|10||Tolfdir is working on a new Master Alteration spell, and has asked for my help. He wants to study dragon heartscales, but in order to collect them I'll first need to obtain a special dagger known as Kahvozein's Fang.
|20||At Tolfdir's request, I've used Kahvozein's Fang to collect dragon heartscales. Hopefully this will help him to create the new Alteration spell he's been working on.
|200||I've assisted Tolfdir in his research by collecting dragon heartscales, which he needed to figure out a new Alteration spell. As a reward for helping him, he's given me the first copy of the tome.
This section contains bugs related to Alteration Ritual Spell. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Initiating the quest while Tolfdir is still standing outside Saarthal will cause the game to regard this as an ordinary quest, rather than as one related to the College of Winterhold. It will show up in the quest list with the default quest heading and won't count toward the number of College quests completed on the info screen.
- It is possible to initiate the quest before starting "Dragon Rising," but it would be impossible to complete it before "Dragon Rising" as no dragon corpses are available yet.
- Dragon Heartscales cannot be harvested from Mirmulnir or Skeletal Dragons.
- Sometimes Kahvozein's Fang can be acquired while the alteration skill is as low as 30; the dagger will be marked as a quest item and can only be removed by placing it on a weapons rack until the quest is completed.
- Sometimes the dialogue option to give Tolfdir the heartscales will not show up. The cause is making Alteration legendary. To fix this, level up Alteration until it is level 90 again, then speak to Tolfdir.
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions|
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • The Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • J'zargo's Experiment • Brelyna's Practice|
Onmund's Request • Out of Balance • Rejoining the College
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell|
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell
|Radiant Quests||Aftershock • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded • Fetch Me That Book!|
Shalidor's Insights • Enchanting Pick-Up • Restocking Soul Gems
|Other Quests||Lost Apprentices • Forgotten Names|