Alvor is married to Sigrid, with whom he has a young daughter, named Dorthe. He is also the uncle of Hadvar, who is an Imperial soldier. He owns a respectable house in Riverwood. His daughter typically stays indoors, hangs around her father's forge, or plays with Frodnar. If Dorthe is attacked, both parents become hostile to defend her. If a dragon attacks Riverwood, he will attempt to engage it with a warhammer when it lands unless he's been injured.
Alvor makes a decent living by working as the blacksmith of Riverwood and repairing the sawmill, as well as making nails for it when needed, he also seems to sell weapons and armor, even some of Elven quality. Like other characters in Riverwood, he suggests that the Dragonborn should speak to the Jarl of Whiterun about the dragons' return.
- "Ain't everyday we get visitors in Riverwood."
- "Whatever you need. By Ysmir, if it's simple and strong, I can forge it."
- "You lookin' for a new blade?"
- "Iron and steel mostly. I might even have some of your fancy Elven pieces lying around somewhere." - Sale dialogue if the player is an Elf
- "Let me stew, alone!" - If Sigrid dies
- "You need iron or steel. Leave the fancy Elven stuff to the Elves." - If the player is not an Elf
Hadvar "Uncle Alvor! Hello!"
Alvor "Hadvar? What are you doing here? Are you on leave from...Shor's bones, what happened to you, boy? Are you in some kind of trouble?"
Hadvar "Shh. Uncle, please. Keep your voice down. I'm fine. But we should go inside to talk."
Alvor "What's going on? [looks at player] And who's this?"
Hadvar "He's/She's a friend. Saved my life, in fact. Come on, I'll explain everything but we need to go inside."
Alvor "Okay, okay. Come inside, then. Sigrid will get you something to eat, and you can tell me all about it."
Alvor "Sigrid! We have company!"
Sigrid "Hadvar! We've been so worried about you! Come, you two must be hungry. Sit down and I'll get you something to eat."
Alvor "Now then, boy, what's the big mystery? What are you doing here looking like you lost an argument with a cave bear?"
Hadvar "I don't know where to start. You know I was assigned to General Tullius's guard. We were stopped in Helgen when we were attacked by...a dragon."
Alvor "A dragon? That's ridiculous. You aren't drunk, are you boy?"
Sigrid "Husband. Let him tell his story."
Hadvar "Not much more to tell. The dragon flew over and just wreked the whole place. Mass confusion. I don't know if anyone else got out alive. I doubt I'd have made it out if not for my friend here. I need to get back to Solitude and let them know what's happened. I thought you could help us out. Food, supplies, a place to stay."
Alvor "Of course! Any friend of Hadvar's is a friend of mine. I'd be glad to help however I can. [to player] Like I said, I'm glad to help however I can. But I need your help. We need your help. [gift options open] The Jarl needs to know if there's a dragon on the loose. Riverwood is defenseless...You need to get word to Jarl Balgruuf to send whatever soldiers he can. If you do this for me, I'll be in your debt."
Dorthe "Hadvar, did you really see a dragon? What did it look like? Did it have big teeth?"
Sigrid "Hush, child. Don't pester your cousin."
Alvor "Well, I'd better get back to work. You two make yourselves at home."
Dorthe "I'm bored standing around, papa. I could take over for you..."
Alvor "Patience, Dorthe. You'll get some time at the forge, I promise you. But not right now. You need to keep watching me. That's how you'll learn."
Dorthe "All right. But I'm getting a bit tired of waiting."
Alvor sells weapons, armor, ingots and leather strips, and allows the Dragonborn to use his forge. Iron and steel ingots are found under his workbench and can be taken without punishment if the Dragonborn helps Alvor or escapes Helgen with Hadvar. If taken after helping Ralof, Alvor will likely send hired thugs after the Dragonborn.
- Before the Storm
- Alvor's Apprentice
- If Sigrid dies, Alvor will say nothing else but "Let me stew, alone!", making him impossible to interact with. A workaround is to attempt to pickpocket right in front of him without taking an item. He will tell you to keep your hands to yourself, but the menu options will return in subsequent interactions.
- If the Dragonborn followed Hadvar during "Unbound" and Alvor dies, even if murdered by the Dragonborn, a courier brings a Letter of Inheritance with 100 .
- The Dragonborn can train their Smithing skill with Alvor if the option, "Do you need any help around the forge?" is selected. Note that after this is done, this option can't be used with any other blacksmith, although with any other blacksmith the items crafted have the same results.
- The iron and steel ingots on the left hand side of his workbench respawn each month.
- If Alvor and Sigrid are killed by the Dragonborn, their child, Dorthe, will say; "I hate you for ever and ever!" and "Get away from me!" If they're killed by external forces (such as a dragon), however, she will sadly say, "I don't want to talk about it."
- When a new game is started, Alvor will be unarmed, unlike most other NPCs. When provoked into combat for the first time (often by a dragon attacking Riverwood) he will grab the best weapon he can find at his forge, either on the table or on the weapons rack, which he will keep equipped on his person for the rest of the game.
- In combat, after the first time he meets the Dragonborn, he wields an Iron Warhammer.
- If a dragon attacks Riverwood, he will bravely attack it and will most likely die. The Dragonborn may be accused by guards of murdering Alvor if the guards see him with weapons drawn near the corpse.
- If stolen from, he will send hired thugs to attack the thief.
- If the Dragonborn attacks a member of the village, he might say that their kind has no place there.
- If both Alvor and Sigrid get killed by either the Dragonborn themselves or an external source, Dorthe can be adopted with the Hearthfire add-on installed.
- Alvor is voiced by singer and voice actor Michael Gough.
This section contains bugs related to Alvor. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Delphine, Sigrid, Gerdur and Faendal, Alvor can attack the Dragonborn for no apparent reason. Yielding to a guard or fast traveling to a different Hold can generally fix this. Additionally, Alvor has roughly 3/4 health. Along with
In very rare cases, Alvor may be at the forge working, but the player cannot buy things from him.
- Solution: wait an hour then allow him to work for a few seconds.
Upon exiting his house, he may not walk all the way through the door, causing him to become trapped in the wall.
- Solution: fast traveling away and back to Riverwood fixes this.