- Main article: Shalidor
(During Long Lost Lore): Arch-Mage Shalidor:
- "I can sense... yes. The aura around you glows with good fortune. You will be the one to help me complete my final task"
- (Why me?) What I hope to accomplish is difficult. Perhaps impossible. It will require great strength of spirit! I sense this strength in you. That is what drew us together in the ruins."
- (What is this task?) A storm rages towards us, Adept. War has come to Tamriel, and the Mages of this great guild must have quarter. I intend to offer them a safe haven. A sanctuary where they may study in peace.
- (How do we create this sanctuary)? I created that sanctuary, centuries ago! It was stolen from me by an agent of chaos, and magically transported to the Shivering Isles. To recover the island we must located four hidden tomes. This is the task of which I speak.
- (Where are these tomes?): "They're being held in a place known as ... Cheesemonger's Hollow. It is a realm of the Mad God, Sheogorath. Stand by my side, and I will open a portal.
- (I'll stand with you, Shalidor). Be careful. Sheogorath is not to be taken lightly. I lost the sanctuary because of his nimble tongue and mad stare.
- (Who is Sheogorath?) "I won't waste my time recounting his antics. Suffice it to say, he got the better of me. Bets were made, wagers lost. And my sanctuary, Eyevea, was pulled into his realm... my apprentices screaming all the while"
- (Why have you returned?) To protect my legacy. While this Guild was... after my time, I accomplished much on Tamriel. I founded schools of magic, and oversaw construction of the Great Maze, and bore my Spellmirror into battle.
- (And you think the war could undo that?) I know it. I laid powerful enchantments onto my final resting place. When my legacy is threatened, I'm drawn back from Aetherius. My presence here is proof enough: The Three Banners War is a threat to every Mage in Tamriel.
- (Who is Sheogorath?) "He's known as the Daedric Prince of Madness: The Mad God. The Dunmer call him one of their Four Corners of the House of Troubles. And he's earned the title a thousand-fold.
- (Is he really a threat? He sounds like a joke): "Don't take him too lightly. Madness comes in many forms. Sheogorath encompasses them all. He rules the Shivering Isles, but often takes an active interest in our world. That ... usually doesn't end very well.
- (Am I really going to a place called Cheesemonger's Hollow? Yes. An example of Sheogorath's "humor". There are those that find his madness amusing. I am not one of those people. The Mad God would just as soon serve you an aged chedder(sic) as he would flay the skin from your bones. Remember that.