Though the Dragonborn is not allowed to actually engage in conversation with Asbjorn before he takes over The Scorched Hammer from Balimund (if the latter is killed or married by the Dragonborn), he does have dialogue with other characters that provides details on his life.
He was left at Honorhall Orphanage when he was only a baby; according to Grelod the Kind, his parents didn't want him (though given Grelod's cruel nature, this may not be true). Balimund adopted him when he was a young boy in order to make the boy his apprentice. Asbjorn reveals he had no training in smithing whatsoever, and never even picked up hammer in his life, but found quickly that he possessed a natural affinity for it.
He has deep gratitude and admiration for Balimund, and hopes to be as good a smith someday. He can be found inside The Scorched Hammer most of the day.
- Asbjorn can become the Dragonborn's stepchild if they marry Balimund, making him one of only three people who can be "adopted" without Hearthfire (Evette San and Aerin being the others).
- If the Dragonborn steals the contents of Asbjorn's strongbox, he may send hired thugs after the Dragonborn.
- If Balimund is killed by the Dragonborn and is caught doing so, the next time Asbjorn is spoken to, he will say, "What do you want? Haven't you caused enough trouble already?" However, he will eventually cease repitition of the phrase.
- "Folks in town say that Balimund is the greatest blacksmith in all of Tamriel. I hope I can live up to that some day and make him proud of me."
- "Balimund took me in and has been so kind to me. I don't know why, but he thinks I can be a great blacksmith like him."
- "Have you met Balimund? I'm his apprentice. He's teaching me all about being a blacksmith."
- "At first I don't know why he picked me. I never even held a hammer in my life! But the first time I picked it up, it just felt right!"