((Quote|I am that which you have been seeking.)) ((Quote|Your efforts are within vain. It has already begun.
The man who would become the Augur of Dunlain was once a gifted student of the college. Though he was undoubtedly brilliant, he was over-zealous in his pursuit of his discipline of magic. Through unknown means, his soul became fused with the energies around the college, resulting in his current state. Since then, the Augur has been known for its wisdom, but the people of the College do not like to talk about it. The only one willing to discuss it is Tolfdir.
Becoming a Master of Restoration brings the Dragonborn to the Augur once more, at the suggestion of Colette Marence. Seeking approval from the Augur, the Dragonborn removes all equipment and is required to survive against several ghosts that wield Destruction magic.
- "Your perseverance will only lead you to disappointment."
- Augurs were priests and diviners, mainly in Rome and Etruria, who were tasked with interpreting signs and omens. These groups of Augurs were tasked with discerning the will of the gods, which they did by studying multiple aspects of the flight of birds. They were consulted for a wide variety of tasks, ranging from decisions about religion, commerce and war to questions like where to build new cities.
- The Augur of Dunlain's dialogue cannot be skipped, the only other instances when this happens is with some Daedric Princes. In addition, if the player backs out of conversation with him, they will be forced to restart it from the beginning.
- It is possible that the Augur of Dunlain is from Dunlain Falls.
- When asking Toldfir about the Augur of Dunlain, he will respond by saying, "I suppose he's still down in the midden." However, Augur had actually allowed his over-zealous pursuit of magic to eventually kill him. Fading bloodstains on the walls, scattered bones and his spirit within a small room indicates that the midden may have been his private laboratory before his death within it.