The bow was said to have been carried into battle by Auri-El himself against the forces of Lorkhan during the Ehlnofey wars of the Dawn Era. When Trinimac defeated Lorkhan and tore out his heart, Auri-El fastened it to an arrow and shot it long into the sea, where Red Mountain eventually formed.
Its craftsmanship is said to have no equal in all of Tamriel. The bow draws its power from Aetherius itself, channeling it through the sun. Therefore, when an arrow is loosed from the bow, it produces a magical effect very similar to being burned by fire.
The bow enchantment deals 20 points of Sun Damage. This damage is tripled if the target is an undead.
In addition to the enchantment, Auriel's Bow appears to have faster draw speed than a regular bow. Fully nocking an arrow with the Quick Shot perk takes less than a second.
In addition to regular arrows, two special types of arrows can be used with Auriel's Bow, each with their own unique effect:
"Causes sunburst attacks to nearby targets if shot at the sun with Auriel's Bow"
Shooting a Sunhallowed Elven Arrow from Auriel's Bow at the sun will cause the sun to undergo an explosion, causing beams of harmful sunlight to rain down on all enemies similar to the effect of the Storm Call shout.
"Shrouds the sun in sudden darkness when shot with Auriel's Bow"
Shooting a Bloodcursed Elven Arrow from Auriel's Bow at the sun will cause an explosion of darkness around the sun, which will dissipate to reveal a black hole-like anomaly replacing the sun. This creates a false-night in which a vampire is unaffected by the daylight. This effect will continue for an entire day in-game.
- Unlike most other weapons, apparel that reduces the cost of Restoration spells (the school that the Sun Damage enchantment falls under) does not reduce the amount of charge used when using Auriel's Bow.
- NPCs have reactions to the bow when it is used to blacken the sky, though the comments are not to the bow itself, but more to the sky. When using the bow to darken the sun with Bloodcursed Elven Arrows, NPCs will comment on the changed sky when the Dragonborn decides to talk to them. Instead of their usual reactions or greetings, they will say various lines such as:
- "This weather seems all wrong to me."
- "The day is dark as night. What's happening?"
- "Why does the sky look like that?"
- "Dragons weren't enough. Now we've lost the sun, too?"
- "Watch yourself. The sky is a bad omen."
- "By the Eight...! Look at the sky!"
- Interestingly, while the player has the bow drawn, the sound effect of crackling can be heard, as if the Dragonborn is holding a Fire spell in their hand. This sound seems to only occur while the bow is drawn, not sheathed.
- Auriel's Bow seems to count towards the Oblivion Walker achievement (for obtaining 15 Daedric artifacts). The reason for this is unknown but can help if miss one of the several missable artifacts.
- Main article: Achievements (Dawnguard)
| Auriel's Bow|
Use The Special Power Of Auriel's Bow
- The Elder Scrolls: Arena
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard