|Balgruuf the Greater|
|Level||10 - 30|
Jarl Balgruuf wears noble clothes, fur-lined boots, and a gold and ruby circlet for a crown (the clothes and boots are rare, found in few places, such as the East Empire Company warehouse). The Jarl's weapon is a unique war axe (which can only be acquired through theft) that carries his name - Balgruuf's war axe. If the Dragonborn fights Balgruuf in the Battle for Whiterun, he will equip steel plate armor without the helmet.
He has a brother named Hrongar, and three children, Frothar, Dagny and Nelkir. No one ever mentions the Jarl's spouse, but one can speculate that she died at least some time before the beginning of the Dragon Crisis.
While eventually becoming loyal to the Empire, he puts his people's interests first, many times denying the Imperial Legion permission to garrison soldiers in his city so as not to portray martial law — if he is asked what side he is on in the war, he will say that he is "on the side of Whiterun". He is shown to be against the Stormcloak rebellion after the Dragonborn chooses a side in the Civil War, slandering them if they seize Whiterun with the Stormcloak army. He is generally more interested in dragons than the Civil War in which he is involved.
After the Dragonborn appears before the Jarl to tell him of the dragon attack on Helgen, the Dragonborn learns that another dragon, Mirmulnir, is attacking the Western Watchtower. Together with Irileth and several Whiterun guards, the Dragonborn defeats the dragon and returns to the Jarl. Jarl Balgruuf then dubs the Dragonborn Thane of Whiterun and advises that they visit the Greybeards at High Hrothgar for instruction on how to learn the Thu'um.
At first, Balgruuf will remain neutral in the Civil War. But once the Dragonborn chooses a side, Balgruuf will eventually decide to help the Imperial Legion, regardless of which side the Dragonborn's choices. Alternatively, siding with the Stormcloaks means the Dragonborn must fight Balgruuf, Irileth, and several of the Whiterun guards. If Vignar Gray-Mane becomes Jarl of Whiterun, Balgruuf, along with Irileth and Proventus, travel to the Blue Palace in Solitude, seeking refuge with Imperial sympathizer, Jarl Elisif the Fair.
He is seen at Kodlak White-mane's funeral if he is the Jarl of Whiterun.
Once the Dragonborn is recognized as a Thane of Whiterun, they are given a housecarl named Lydia, who can serve as their follower. Additionally, he grants the Dragonborn permission to purchase Breezehome, a house in Whiterun. He also presents the leveled Axe of Whiterun to the Dragonborn, a status-symbol of the Thanes of Whiterun. A sword rather than an axe may be received.
- Dragon Rising - Help defend Whiterun against a Dragon.
- The Way Of The Voice - Seek out the Greybeards at High Hrothgar to learn about being Dragonborn.
- Season Unending - Make a peace treaty between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks.
- The Fallen - Trap a dragon in Dragonsreach with the Jarl's help
- Message to Whiterun - Deliver Ulfric's axe to Jarl Balgruuf.
- Battle for Whiterun (Stormcloaks) - Take the city for the Stormcloak rebellion.
- Battle for Whiterun (Imperial) - Defend the city from the Stormcloak rebellion.
- The Whispering Door - Something is wrong with Balgruuf's son Nelkir.
- Diplomatic Immunity - Balgruuf is one of the guests at the party.
- It is possible to pickpocket gold from him and have it respawn with a larger amount.
- It is possible to gain a bounty in Eastmarch if, when on the Stormcloak's side, the Dragonborn attacks him before he becomes hostile.
- Jarl Balgruuf was initially meant to be killable during the The Whispering Door quest. When inspecting the quest through the Creation Kit, it is revealed that all his children were meant to fall under the influence of Mephala, eventually committing Patricide. Hrongar would have replaced Balgruuf as Jarl, having many unused lines of dialogue that parallel that of Balgruuf's during the Civil War Quest and Main Quest.
- During the Battle for Whiterun (if the Dragonborn has sided with the Stormcloaks), Balgruuf can be pickpocketed for a Necklace of Waterbreathing, which is odd for the fact that Balgruuf never touches water, unless console commands are used.
- When asked about him by Gerdur, she will reply saying that he has been at odds with Ulfric for years.
- Sometimes, after buying Breezehome, (The house in Whiterun.) and the Miscellaneous quest "Talk to Jarl Balgruuf" is still active, if the player talks to him, Balgruuf will say he can buy Breezehome, even after actually buying it.
- Balgruuf was voiced by Michael Gough.