- Main article: Bandit
The Bandit Chief is the strongest variant of a Bandit. They also contain the most valuable loot among a group of bandits. More often than not, Bandit Chiefs are Orcs. However, other races compose their ranks, such as Nords and Imperials.
Bandit Chiefs also wear Heavy Armor and tend to brandish a sword and shield combo, but some may also wield two handed weapons as well. Bandit Chiefs are located near the end of the dungeon or at the furthest point inside a camp or hold, and are usually accompanied with at least one to two weaker Bandit variants. They can be very tricky to kill, as they are known to often wield an enchanted weapon, and reside in small places, where backing off is hard. 2-3 can spawn near Dragontooth Crater, along with weaker variants.
- Bandit Chiefs have very strong attack and can be very hard to kill for low-level characters.
- Oddly enough, Bandit Chiefs get stronger and stronger until you're level 50, unlike usual Bandits that just send stronger variations. When you're past level 50, bandit Plundurers, Thugs and Marauders are dispatched across the map, therefore when you're strong enough to kill a Bandit Marauder, Bandit Chiefs will seem much, much easier to defeat.
- Bandit Chiefs are surprisingly easier to sneak by than other people.
- Bandit Chiefs use more strategy when attacking you, they tend to use shield bash on you if you're using a Two Handed Weapon power attack.
- Around level 15+, they start to use Steel Plate Armour. They never use Dwarven (unless it's a shield), Daedric, Orcish, Ebony(with the exception of the bandit chief you are ordered to kill in Boethiah's Calling), or Dragonbone armor.