Bandits are one of the most common enemies encountered across Skyrim. They wield a wide variety of weapons, ranging from bows, one-handed and two-handed melee weapons, and on rare occasions spells. Their apparel varies from light to heavy armor, and always consists of a cuirass and boots (or fur shoes), and may include gauntlets, a helmet, or a shield as well.
Although most bandits are Nords, Orcish bandits and other races are also common, though Dunmeri bandits are rare, if not non-existent. Bandits almost always appear in groups and often inhabit fort ruins and caves. Bandit groups often set up regular patrols to guard entrances and other key areas, sometimes numbering near a dozen at well-fortified locations. They can also can be encountered traveling along the roads, but it is not as common. Their Solstheim counterparts are the Reavers, who are always Dunmer.
|Bandit||1||35||25||70||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, light armor, gold, lockpicks||1068FE|
|Bandit Outlaw||5||110||25||85||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, light armor, gold, lockpicks||37C2D|
|Bandit Thug||9||235||25||105||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, light armor, gold, lockpicks||37C2E|
|Bandit Highwayman||14||320||24||120||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, light armor, gold, lockpicks||37C35|
|Bandit Plunderer||19||400||25||170||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, light armor, gold, lockpicks||37C3C|
|Bandit Marauder||25||490||25||245||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, light armor, gold, lockpicks||37C43|
|Bandit Chief||28||500||25||260||Melee weapons, bow and arrows, heavy armor, gold, lockpicks||E1646|
- Bleak Falls Barrow
- Cragslane Cavern
- Knifepoint Ridge
- Fort Greymoor
- Fort Dunstad
- Fort Hraggstad
- Halted Stream Camp
- Redoran's Retreat
- Robber's Gorge
- Silent Moons Camp
- Swindler's Den
- Valtheim Towers
- White River Watch
- Uttering Hills Cave
- Frostmere Crypt
- Bilegulch Mine
- Ravenscar Hollow
- Faldar's Tooth
- Lost Knife Cave, Lost Knife Hideout
- Wreck of the Winter War
- Wreck of The Pride of Tel Vos
- Embershard Mine
- Riverwood Folly
- Randomly found on roads throughout Skyrim
- Near Winterhold on the glaciers
- "You picked a bad time to get lost, friend."
- "Die already so I can take your stuff!"
- "You'll be so much easier to rob you when you're dead!"
- "Can't wait to count out your coin..."
- "Gonna split your belly like an old woman's purse!"
- "Ha, I think you're bleeding!"
- "Never should have come here!"
- "Son of a..."
- "I'm gonna wear that tail as a belt!" (If their foe is an Argonian)
- "Tell you what. You start running so I can stab you in the back."
- "Ill gut you like a horker!" (only by bandits in Eastmarch /Winterhold)
- "Die, damn you!"
- "Die, Orc filth!" (If their foe is Orsimer)
- "I'm warning you, back off!"
- "You remind me of my cousin's cat, killed that one too!" (If their foe is a Khajiit)
- "I'll mount your head on my wall!"
- "You're dead! Dead!"
- "I'll have your head!"
- "That all you've got?"
- "Prepare to die!"
- "You won't leave here alive!"
- "You'll make a fine rug, cat!" (If their foe is a Khajiit)
- "You should have stayed in your precious forests, elf!" (If their foe is a Bosmer)
- "Hurry up and die already, so I can take your stuff!"
- "Maybe I was just hearing things." (If Dragonborn is sneaking and hidden)
- "What was that?" (when a foe is detected while sneaking)
- "Did you hear something?"(when a foe is detected while sneaking)
- "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" (sometimes said even when their foe is a Nord)
- "You call yourself a Nord?" (if their foe is a Nord)
- "Time to die hero!"
- "You're a disgrace to your own kind!" '(if their foe is a Nord)
- "Burn it! Burn the Vampire!" (if their foe is a vampire)
- "Kill it! Kill the monster!" (if their foe is in beast form)
- "Victory or Sovngarde!"
- "Well ain't this a suprise!"
- "Time to end this little game."
(The following lines are only heard when bandits are not alerted to the Dragonborn's presence.)
- "Might pay off my bounty this time — walk in to the city a free man."
- "Should have known she was lying... she said she would wait for me, but they never wait..."
- "I'll never do another span in that stinkin' jail. Rather die than give myself up."
- "Never enough gold... just need one more good haul."
- "...mead, mead, mead... ...kill 'em to get some beer every now and then.. Stupid bees and their stupid honey..."
- *Singing* With three beers down, the Orc did frown, and bid the Elf goodbye, for none could know, 'twas not for show, and someone had to die.
- "...picking pockets, now that's the real art... No rough stuff, just take it and go.. hmph, doesn't sound like much fun though...
- "Lying little harlot.. that brat ain't mine, could be anyone's... won't get one rusty septim from me...
- "Hmph, wizards... now that's power.. bet they got that "secret magic".. turn wood into gold.. yeah, wish I could turn wood into gold...
- *Singing* Once as fair as evening... at the spring-time of Stros M'kai...
- "..kill him... he talks like that to me again... get him while he's sleeping, or poison his meat...see how he likes that...
- Bandits might sometimes say, "Go to college, they said.. Use your smarts, he said.." If the Dragonborn isn't seen. This may be a reference to Warcraft II's 'Join the army,' they said. 'See the world,' they said."
- A small group of bandits can be found in the wilderness, disguised as Imperial soldiers. They will try to extort a "fine" from the Dragonborn. They can be found in some random encounters locations.
- Bandits may say "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!" even if the Dragonborn is a Nord, or if the Bandit that said it is not a Nord.
- Bandits may utter generic greetings if the Dragonborn is successfully defeated.
- If calmed with a calming spell, they can be talked to, however they will only give out generic responses. Making them neutral this way will make it easier, as their pockets can be picked for valuables without having to battle them.
- After installing Dragonborn and having traveled to Solstheim at least once, Skyrim bandit chiefs may start appearing with Nordic Carved Armor and Nordic weapons.
- After speaking to one of the Orc Strongholds, an Orc bandit can be caught off guard and spoken to before being detected. He can then be asked to grant "Blood Kinship".
This section contains bugs related to Bandits (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Bandits may sometimes say things like "Hey, watch it!" or "What is it?" when the Dragonborn is killed.
- If a Dragonborn is killed, while they are a werewolf, the bandits will comment on them being naked.
- In rare instances, bandits may respond with neutrality, even when approached, yet they will not engage in dialogue, and, if spoken to too many times, will become hostile.
- Bandits can send hired thugs after the Dragonborn, even if they're dead.
- A bandit may give the Dragonborn a letter of inheritance.