|The Bannered Mare|
|Quests||The Whispering Door, The Blessings of Nature, The Black Star, First Lessons, In My Time of Need, Dampened Spirits, Hired Muscle|
|Characters||Hulda, Saadia, Mikael, Sinmir, Uthgerd the Unbroken|
Serving as Whiterun's most popular gathering place, The Bannered Mare functions as a tavern and inn that offers mead, food, and a warm, welcoming fire. Almost anyone can be found in the tavern after the shops and stalls close. Its sign is that of a horse carrying a banner.
Hulda, the publican, is fond of telling the story of the horse, which belonged to a Nord king who died in battle; the king may have died, but his favorite filly carried his banner still, inspiring the leader’s warriors to victory.
Ysolda often tells the Dragonborn that after she has made enough money from trading with the Khajiit Caravans she is going to buy the Bannered Mare from Hulda, however this never actually happens in-game, unless Hulda is killed. Hulda also mentions, when asked about the inn, says that she is ready to retire and perhaps she will sell the inn to Ysolda.
The building has a central tavern area and a side kitchen with a business ledger and strongbox near the roasting spit. To the rear of the main bar area is a small bedroom and office where shady deals may be done. There are two sets of steps to separate bedroom areas. Hulda will always send Saadia over to the player, offering food and drink, or in the quest In My Time of Need an option about the Alik'r.
A "loot" shadowmark resides on to the lower right of the door.
- Bed - 10
- Food - sold by Hulda & Saadia.
- Listen to Hulda tell rumors.
- Music - played by Mikael.
- Brawl against Uthgerd the Unbroken.
- If the player takes a seat in the chair by the fire, Saadia will be reminded by Hulda to serve them.
Several Alik'r bounty hunters may approach the Dragonborn in Whiterun, searching for a runaway fugitive. The fugitive, going by the name Saadia, can be found in the room left of the main tavern room or upstairs. Regardless of who the Dragoborn decides to help, they must return here to speak with Saadia again.
After accepting the contract Amaund Motierre gives at Volunruud, he resides at the Banner Mare. He must be approached after Emperor Titus Mede II is killed. Optionally, he may be killed in his room near the rear of the facility.
- Uthgerd the Unbroken, a potential follower.
- Saadia, a Redguard woman of mysterious origin.
- Mikael, the bard.
- Hulda, the proprietor.
- Amaund Motierre, Elder Council member who appears during "To Kill An Empire".
- A Night to Remember
- In My Time of Need.
- The Whispering Door.
- Convince Mikael to leave Carlotta alone (Unmarked).
- Argonian Ale Extraction
- Standing on the fireplace in third person blocks the light being emitted from the flame and therefore causes the room to darken.