Bears are creatures that are found in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Bears are strong, fast and able to chase down the average adventurer. The bears of Skyrim seem to be somewhat stronger than other varieties of bear. They can be found in the more mountainous regions of Skyrim, usually around Ivarstead and other hilly regions. It is possible to contract bone break fever from them. The Animal Extermination quest may require a bear to be killed.
Bears can be found either sleeping or resting, sometimes in the middle of a road or path. One of the locations is Honeystrand Cave. This presents the option to sneak around the beast, or to perform a sneak attack to gain the upper hand in the ensuing fight. Bears roar to warn of their presence before attacking, and are docile until one gets too close.
Bears are often seen attacking other animals such as elk or goats. But this does not mean that the player can sneak around the bear when it is attacking another enemy. Sometimes both the bear and, (if it is an enemy), the other animal will both attack the Dragonborn. Bears prefer mountains, but they can be found in the tundra areas.
- As bears are strictly melee fighters, the safest way to kill a bear at low levels is to stealthily shoot it from a distance, or to hit it with magic attacks.
- Bears cannot attack while in water, so crossing a body of water when a bear is hostile, or using Unrelenting Force to force a bear into water, allows easy hits with magic or bows.
- When encountering one on a steep cliff, you can use Unrelenting Force on it so it rolls down the cliff. A lot of the time, the bear dies from the impact at the end of the hill. If it doesn't die, you have a good chance to shoot it a few times.
- Bear Pelt — tanning ingredient
- Bear Claws — alchemy ingredient
- Occasional minor treasure, gold, gem or ring.
- The first bear the Dragonborn sees (and possibly kills; your choice) is in the Helgen Keep, but it is of a lower level than the others, and is far weaker than any other bears.
- A bear is the sigil of Ulfric Stormcloak, his supporters and the city of Windhelm.
- Cave bears are possibly based on the extinct animal of the same name.
- Snow bears are possibly based on polar bears.
- Werebears appear in The Elder Scrolls V: Dragonborn.
- Interestingly enough, bears are shown with black fur but drop a brown pelt. This is similar to the brown cave bears dropping a black pelt.
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Animals||Bear • Cave Bear • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Elk • Fox • Goat • Hawk • Horker • Horse |
Ice Wolf • Mammoth • Mudcrab • Rabbit • Sabre Cat • Skeever • Slaughterfish • Snow Bear • Snow Fox • Wolf
|Creatures||Chaurus • Frostbite Spider • Frost Troll • Giant • Hagraven • Ice Wraith • Spriggan • Troll|
|Daedra||Dremora • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Storm Atronach|
|Undead||Corrupted Shade • Dragon Priest • Draugr • Magic Anomaly • Skeleton |
Subjugated Ghost • Wisp • Wispmother • Vampire
|Animunculi||Dwarven Centurion • Dwarven Sphere • Dwarven Spider|
|Dragons||Dragon • Blood Dragon • Frost Dragon • Elder Dragon • Ancient Dragon • Skeletal Dragon|