- Main article: Dragon Shouts
Become Ethereal is a dragon shout in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
This shout makes the Dragonborn spectral in appearance and will make them invulnerable to all damage for the duration of the effect; 8/13/18 seconds. In addition, stamina will not be depleted while this shout is active (but will not replenish while running). However, any damaging attacks performed while the shout is active will immediately end the effect. Casting any spells will also end the effect.
Shouting additional words increases the duration and cooldown of the effect. A word of the shout can be meditated on with Paarthurnax to increase health regeneration while using the shout.
- Descend mountains quickly, as all fall damage is completely ignored.
- Unlimited sprinting for the duration, as Stamina drain is ignored.
- Ignore all traps.
- Provide a small window for uninterrupted Magicka regeneration.
- Charge various master spells mid-battle without the risk of being interrupted (with the exception of Dragonhide).
- Can be used to make enemy mages deplete their Magicka while attacking the Dragonborn.
- Can be used to quickly negate massive amounts of damage from dragon breath attacks.
- Can draw enemy attacks while healing/supporting a follower.
- Fire, Frost & Lightning Cloaks still damage the enemy while Ethereal.
- J'zargo's Flame Cloak Scrolls can be tested in combination with the shout to avoid taking damage.
- The shout can be augmented with Ethereal Spirit, increasing the health regeneration rate while ethereal by 25%.
Locations: Ironbind Barrow, Lost Valley Redoubt, and Ustengrav
|NONVUL BRON DahMaan DaaR ROT FIN|
FODiiZ BORMah-Nii LOS HeyV DO ENOOK
MUN WaH LahNey VOTH ahKRIN ahRK ZIN
LEH ROK FeiM VODahMIN KOTIN VULOM
|Noble Nords remember these words (of) the|
hoar father - It is duty of each
man to live with courage and honor
lest he fade forgotten(?) into darkness.
|NAFNI WahLaaN QETHSEGOL BORMahii|
VahRUKT ROGNVALD WEN Zii FEN
MahFAERaaK aaK OK BROD
ahRK FOLooK OK HOKORON
|Nafni raised (this) stone|
(in) memory of his father Rognvald, whose spirit will
forever guide his clan
and haunt his enemies.
|HET NOK BeIN NahGahDINOK|
AZARAN FaaL MUNAX WO UNT
Wah GRON KRILOT DILON DO
SOVNGARDE Wah LeiN DO JUL ahRK FUNT
|Here lies foul Necromancer|
Azaran the Cruel, who tried
to bind (the) valiant dead of
Sovngarde to (the) world of man and failed.
- The "Azaran the Cruel" mentioned on the third Word Wall is very likely a reference to a necromancer of the same name in Thief II: The Metal Age.
- In one of the "tests" of the Pilgrim's Path, there is a chamber in which exposure to the light causes health damage at an alarming rate. The shout does not render the Dragonborn immune to this damage.
This section contains bugs related to Become Ethereal. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- When the Dragonborn unequips the Ebony Mail and uses the shout and re-equips it, the shadow effect then disappears.
- Upon jumping into the water while using this shout, the Dragonborn may appear invisible.
- While in water the model becomes "broken up" and it ceases to merge, making the lines of all the individual pieces in the model become visible.
- On very rare occasions, the shout may not even work at all.
| Animal Allegiance • Aura Whisper • Become Ethereal • Call Dragon • Call of Valor • Clear Skies • Disarm • Dismay |
Dragonrend • Elemental Fury • Fire Breath • Frost Breath • Ice Form • Kyne's Peace • Marked for Death • Slow Time
Storm Call • Throw Voice • Unrelenting Force • Whirlwind Sprint
|Drain Vitality • Soul Tear • Summon Durnehviir|
|Battle Fury • Bend Will • Cyclone • Dragon Aspect|
|Amulet of Talos • Dragon Alphabet • Dragon Language • Shrine of Talos • Tongues • Word Wall|