Before the Storm is a quest available in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. After escaping from the dragon attack at Helgen, it is necessary to follow the advice received that leads to Riverwood. It is possible to gather supplies and prepare for a trip to Whiterun to report the recent events to Jarl Balgruuf.
The Dragonborn emerges into the bright light of Falkreath Hold, due north of the still-smoldering ruin of Helgen. Ralof or Hadvar (depending on whom the Dragonborn followed) watch as the dragon responsible for disrupting the execution flies away to the north. After that occurs the Dragonborn must talk to whoever they followed, and then head to Riverwood. Following them down the hillside heading to the next town, it may be possible to lose him. Simply continue on and meet up with Hadvar's or Ralof's contact in Riverwood.
On the way to Riverwood there is the possibility of a chance encounter, but that is nothing that cannot be handled with the help of Hadvar or Ralof. Along the path taken are three Guardian Stones: The Warrior Stone, The Mage Stone, and The Thief Stone. Pick one according to the preferred playing style and continue following the path.
After arrival in the village, assuming the Dragonborn traveled the entire way with their Helgen-met companion, the hero is led to a house depending on who was followed in the opening quest—either Ralof's sister Gerdur and her husband, Hod, or Hadvar's uncle, Alvor. Following the quest markers, the Dragonborn will be offered a gift of supplies. All of the items offered can be taken without anyone complaining. The Riverwood contact will also recommend that a report be made to Jarl Balgruuf, in Whiterun, regarding all of the events that have transpired.
Heading straight to Whiterun can skip Riverwood altogether. The journal will still be updated as if they went there and spoke with the contact of their friend. Exiting Riverwood to the north and following the path with the waterfall rapids to the east will lead the Dragonborn to Whiterun. Head west on the road from the two bridges, on the opposite side of the stream, to Chillfurrow Farm, and pass the Honningbrew Meadery.
In the surrounding farmland, the Dragonborn may find members of the Companions engaged in a battle with a giant. Passing the Whiterun Stables that mark the outside entrance to the city, and continuing up the hill and over the drawbridge, will lead them to the main gate. A guard bars access to the city; the city is closed with the news of dragons spreading fast. The Dragonborn only needs to tell him that Riverwood calls for the Jarl's aid. Once inside, head through the town to Dragonsreach. The Jarl's Housecarl, Irileth, wants to know the Dragonborn's business, but regardless of the answer the Dragonborn will end up talking to Jarl Balgruuf. The conversation with him can be lead in any direction, but in the end the quest will be completed, and a reward will be received from the Jarl.
- A Heavy or Light cuirass that is dependant on the Dragonborn's Light Armor Skill and Heavy Armor skill levels. If the Light Armor skill is higher, they will receive a Leather Armor, while a higher Heavy Armor skill yields a Steel Armor. If both skills equal, the result will depend on a random pick between the two armors. These armors have a chance of a random enchantment.
- Increased disposition from Alvor or Hod and Gerdur if visited after escaping Helgen, depending if the Dragonborn followed Hadvar or Ralof, respectively.
- Unlocks the next quest in the main questline.
- After the quest, Riverwood will be occupied by Whiterun Hold Guards.
|Before the Storm – MQ102|
|10||Hadvar suggested that I head to the nearby town of Riverwood. His uncle is the blacksmith there and should be able to help me.
|Ralof suggested that I head to the nearby town of Riverwood. His sister owns a lumbermill there and should be able to help me.
|20||Hadvar suggested that we head to the nearby town of Riverwood. His uncle is the blacksmith there and should be able to help us.|
|Ralof suggested that we head to the nearby town of Riverwood. His sister owns a lumbermill there and should be able to help us.|
|30||Hadvar's uncle Alvor asked me to take word to the Jarl of Whiterun of the dragon attack on Helgen, and to ask the Jarl to send soldiers to protect Riverwood.
|Ralof's sister Gerdur asked me to take word to the Jarl of Whiterun of the dragon attack on Helgen, and to ask the Jarl to send soldiers to protect Riverwood.
|100||I've arrived in Whiterun. I should tell the Jarl about the dragon attack on Helgen.|
|110||When I arrived in Whiterun, I told the Jarl about the dragon attack on Helgen.|
|160||Hadvar's uncle Alvor asked me to take word to the Jarl of Whiterun of the dragon attack on Helgen, and to ask the Jarl to send soldiers to protect Riverwood. I delivered the news to Jarl Balgruuf in Whiterun, and he rewarded me for my help.
|Ralof's sister Gerdur asked me to take word to the Jarl of Whiterun of the dragon attack on Helgen, and to ask the Jarl to send soldiers to protect Riverwood. I delivered the news to Jarl Balgruuf in Whiterun, and he rewarded me for my help.
|When I arrived in Whiterun, I told the Jarl about the dragon attack on Helgen, and he rewarded me for my efforts.
- Even with a Speech of 100, Whiterun guards cannot be intimidated during this quest.
- Alternately, the Dragonborn can commit a small crime, such as hitting a guard, killing a chicken, or stealing something in front of a guard. Then a small fine needs to be paid, and the Dragonborn is escorted (instantly moved) to the front of Dragonsreach, like normal. Of course, in doing so, some of the interaction that is normally enjoyed when first walking into Whiterun will be missed.
- While on the way to Whiterun, some of the Companions may be seen fighting a giant. Approaching the fight and helping the warriors kill the giant will cause Aela to approach and comment on the Dragonborn's fighting ability and suggest joining the Companions. If the fight is approached but no aid given, she will say that the battle was won no thanks to the Dragonborn.
- If Ralof or Hadvar is nearby when choosing a Guardian Stone, they will comment on which one the Dragonborn picked.
- Talking to Alvor or Gerdur is optional as not doing so does not prevent advancement in the quest.
This section contains bugs related to Before the Storm (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
|Click to show|
|Skyrim Main Quests|
|Act I||Unbound • Before the Storm • Bleak Falls Barrow • Dragon Rising • The Way of the Voice |
The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
|Act II||A Blade in the Dark • Diplomatic Immunity • A Cornered Rat • Alduin's Wall • The Throat of the World |
Elder Knowledge • Alduin's Bane
|Act III||Season Unending • The Fallen • The World-Eater's Eyrie • Sovngarde |
Dragonslayer • Epilogue