The Blackwood Company is a minor faction based in Leyawiin. The Company mostly consists of Khajiit and Argonians. The Company takes jobs the Fighters Guild cannot or will not handle. They are reputed to accept any contract offered, to act recklessly and indiscriminately in their tactics, and to lack any screening process for new members. This is in contrast to the Fighters Guild who have a strict charter and set of rules to abide by. They are the main antagonists of the Fighters Guild quest line.
According to second-in-command, Commander Ja'Fazir, "'Blackwood' refers in part to the Blackwood Forest but it also carries reference to the 'thoghatt', or 'charcoal warriors' of Khajiit tradition." Ja'Fazir also says, "The Company provides expert jihatt for selected customers. Very discreet." The Blackwood Company is the subject of the Black Horse Courier article "A New Guild for Fighters?"
The Blackwood Company is only joinable as part of the Fighters Guild Questline. They have only 2 ranks of which only one is available to the player:
- Probationary Member
- Company Member
There are many Blackwood Company Members but a few notables stand out:
- Ri'Zakar - Leader
- Commander Ja'Fazir - Second-in-command of the Blackwood Company.
- Sergeant-of-Sharpshooters Geel
- Lieutenant Rana
Blackwood Company HallEdit
The Blackwood Company Hall is in Leyawiin across a plaza from its competition the Fighters Guild. There is a display case containing a Blackwood Shield; a heavy shield bearing the Blackwood Company crest, and also a Silver War Axe and a Silver Shortsword crossed at the hilt to resemble the same crest. The second floor of the Blackwood Company Hall has a Nirnroot in a plant pot on the mezzanine. There is another in Jeetum-Ze's room.
In the quest Infiltration you will find out the Blackwood Company is using Hist sap. Hist sap is the sap of the tree called Hist from the Argonian home land of Black Marsh. It is an illegal drug like Skooma, the Blackwood Company somehow got a hist tree and are using the Hist from it to give them a "Boost". You can't get any Hist in the rest of the game only in this quest.
- Infiltration: Become a member of the Blackwood company to discover what their secret is.
- The Hist: Find and destroy the Hist tree.
- Seeking Your Roots: A Nirnroot can be found in the company's headquarters.
- There has been much debate over the insparation of the Blackwood Company, namely over perceived parallels with the real-world Blackwater Company. Blackwater trains and employs a force of "Private Contractors"- often serving as private security for its clients. Like Blackwood's Mercenaries, Blackwater's Contractors were accused of being needlessly reckless and endangering civilians.
- Interestingly, in Fallout 3, an antagonistic mercenary group called the Talon Company very much mirrors the Blackwood Company- both in the actions of its men and the its willingness to take any contract, regardless of the danger or possible collateral damage.