Unlike arrows, which are slung across the back, bolts are worn at the hip in a quiver. Similarly to arrows, bolts can be forged using the Smithing skill (however, as noted below, only after the quest "Ancient Technology" has been started).
|Exploding Steel Bolt of Fire||10||0||5||Explodes for 10 points of fire damage.||00f1a0|
|Exploding Steel Bolt of Ice||10||0||5||Explodes for 10 points of frost damage to Health and Stamina.||00f1bb|
|Exploding Steel Bolt of Shock||10||0||5||Explodes for 10 points of shock damage to Health and half that to Magicka.||00f1bc|
|Exploding Dwarven Bolt of Fire||14||0||15||Explodes for 15 points of fire damage.||00f1b1|
|Exploding Dwarven Bolt of Ice||14||0||15||Explodes for 15 points of frost damage to Health and Stamina.||00f1b7|
|Exploding Dwarven Bolt of Shock||14||0||15||Explodes for 15 points of shock damage to Health and half that to Magicka||00f1b9|
Recipes yield bolts in stacks of ten. Forging Exploding Bolts requires ten steel or Dwarven bolts and either fire salts, frost salts or void salts, which yields Fire Bolts, Frost Bolts and Shock Bolts, respectively.
Note: Bolts may only be crafted after starting Sorine's quests to find schematics
Attributes by pieceEdit
To obtain an unlimited number of bolts, perform one of the following methods:
- At the beginning of the quest, Dawnguard, bring Agmaer to Fort Dawnguard.
- Upon completion of the quest, Agmaer will be given a crossbow by Isran, and told to shoot at a set of crates.
- Begin to collect. Collection is a slow process, as he fires a bolt roughly every 8 seconds. He continues to fire bolts until completion of the next quest.
- Find a Hold Guard that is shooting arrows repetitively at a target/practice dummy. The best place to do this is in Solitude near the Castle Dour courtyard.
- Pickpocket his bow and arrows. May require perks to be unlocked first.
- Replace the bow with a crossbow (any kind) and give him a bolt (any kind will do, and only one of the bolts needs to be given).
- Retrieve the bolts as they are fired at the target.
- When the Dragonborn arrives at Fort Dawnguard for the first time, Durak will be shooting bolts at a tree on the path leading up to the fort.
- When he is spoken to, he may be asked what he's shooting with, and he'll hand over a crossbow and bolts; but don't talk to him yet, as he may stop shooting.
- Stand by the stump and pluck the bolts out every few minutes before they disappear.
- Occasionally, he will stop shooting for a long time. Turn and look at him, as this may get him shooting again; walking toward him, or backing away from the tree may also make him start again.
- When enough bolts have been collected, talk to him and get the crossbow and 45 more bolts.
- Collecting bolts from Durak seems a bit faster than collecting bolts from Agmaer, possibly because Isran keeps 'encouraging' him.
- Enchanted bolts can be only made at the forge in Fort Dawnguard.
- Dwarven Bolts may also be looted from Dwarven Spheres or Dwarven Ballistas.
- M'aiq the Liar mentions the bolts in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion in a conversation:
Some people want special bows that take too long to load and need special arrows called bolts. M'aiq thinks they are idiots.
This section contains bugs related to Bolts (Dawnguard). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- armor or clothing pieces not found in the Dawnguard DLC and actually has a visible space between it and the equipped apparel - this is due to the bolts being fixed as a quiver slot, and as the character leans forward, the bolts do the same. The bolt quiver does not fit several
- If a Greatsword is equipped at the same time as the crossbow bolts, part of the weapon will appear to cut through the quiver, which would make it difficult to actually store bolts inside, primarily due to the weapon's size. This is not the case with Battleaxes, Warhammers, or One-Handed weapons.
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Mentioned only)
- The Elder Scrolls V: Dawnguard
|Weapon classes in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
|Arrows • Bolts (DG) • Bows • Crossbows (DG) • Battleaxes • Daggers • Greatswords • Maces • Swords • War Axes • Warhammers|
|Ancient Nord Weapons • Daedric Weapons • Dragonbone Weapons (DG) • Dwarven Weapons • Ebony Weapons • Elven Weapons|
Falmer Weapons • Forsworn Weapons • Glass Weapons • Imperial Weapons • Iron Weapons • Lunar Weapons • Nord Hero Weapons • Nordic Weapons (DB)
Orcish Weapons • Silver Weapons • Skyforge Steel Weapons • Stalhrim Weapons (DB) • Steel Weapons
|Staves • Enchanted Weapons • Unique Weapons • Console Commands|
|Archery • One-Handed • Two-Handed|