Below the cave entrance, near the base of a waterfall, there is a shack with two burnt corpses outside. Inside is a note to the authorities describing the Dragon sightings, and the Pickpocket skill book Purloined Shadows under the bed.
A silver ore vein is at the bottom of the steps that lead up to a stone arch and the entrance to the cave. It is on the right-hand side when facing the steps up, just before two trees.
This small cave is full of the remains of animals and people that have wandered too far. Upon entering the cave, an Ice Wraith can be found. Straight ahead is the Heavy Armor skill book 2920, vol 06 - Mid Year, next to a skeleton and a Knapsack that contains minor loot.
In the next room is an ice bridge with a frost troll. Underneath the bridge are several skeletons that can be looted.
The path then leads on to Ancient's Ascent, which has the Word Wall for the Animal Allegiance shout. Note that this is the only designed way of reaching Ancient's Ascent. An alternative route is described in its article.
- 2920, vol 06 - Mid Year – Heavy Armor skill book
- Knapsack with random items.
- When given the quest by Esbern to kill the dragon at Ancient's Ascent the marker will point to the cave.
- The cave is also a possible location for Aela the Huntress' "Animal Extermination" quest.
- When outside, Clairvoyance doesn't detect a direct path through Bonechill Passage. The spell still operates to the general direction.
This section contains bugs related to Bonechill Passage. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
Shortly after entering the cave, the game may crash to desktop. The time this occurs varies. This can be resolved by:
- playing in windowed mode.
- running services.msc and stopping/restarting Windows Font Caching Service.
- turning the crosshair off.