|Boots of Springheel Jak|
|Quest Giver||Gray Fox messenger Methredhel or Amusei|
|Location||Imperial City, Talos Plaza District|
|Prerequisite||Arrow of Extrication|
|Next Quest||The Ultimate Heist|
|Type||Thieves Guild quest|
Head to Imperial City and ask around for Jakben's house. He lives in the Talos Plaza District at Jakben Imbel's House in the main courtyard. Jakben is out of the house at night, but at home during the day, and he has one servant. Sneak upstairs into his Private Quarters.
In his private quarters, they'll find a book of the Imbel genealogy, but won't reveal anything useful about the location of the boots. A message will come up telling the Hero to ask Jakben himself about his ancestor and the boots. Just wait around for Jakben to return. When he sees them, he'll be afraid, but simply ask him where it is and he'll tell the boots are in the crypt downstairs in the basement.
Head to the basement and into the crypt. There will be five leveled vampires in the crypt. A Patriarch is guarding the last room where Springheel's coffin lays, however, once searching the area and the coffin, the Hero will find a strange diary note.
Head back upstairs and find Jakben, or wait a few moments after reading the diary and he'll come running to the crypt. The Hero will discover that Jakben himself is a vampire and is Springheel Jak, so it is necessary to kill him to get the boots (remember to avoid killing the servant). Kill Jakben, take the Boots of Springheel Jak and return to the Gray Fox in Cheydinhal for the reward.
Instead of going through the family crypts to find the journal, one may simply kill Jakben. When attacking him, he will summon his armor and boots and one can lift the boots from his corpse. Note that one will likely have to pay a bounty, although it may be minor if no one catches you.
Amusei has given me another message from the Gray Fox. I am to meet him at Ganrendel's house in Cheydinhal.
The Gray Fox has asked me to find out where Springheel Jak is buried. This famous thief died 300 years ago. He is rumored to have owned a pair of magical boots. The story also says he was buried in those boots. A relative of his, Jakben, Earl of Imbel, lives somewhere in the Imperial City.
There is a descendent of Springheel Jak living in the Imperial City named Jakben, Earl of Imbel. The Gray Fox has suggested I look there for clues as to where he is buried. Once I know where to look, I am to get the boots and bring them back to the Gray Fox in Ganredhel's house in Cheydinhal.
What luck! The family mausoleum for the Imbels is in the basement of the Jakben's house. The poor Earl was so terrified he told me everything I needed to know. He even gave me the key! Now to find those boots.
The boots were not in the tomb of Springheel Jak. I did find a diary though. Maybe it can provide a clue.
I have read Jakben Imbel's diary, or should I say Springheel Jak's diary. Now I understand why the boots were not in the tomb. Why bury such a valuable item when you can wear it? Even more shocking, it seems that Springheel Jak may have know the Gray Fox himself! They may have been partners in crime several centuries ago.
I have the boots. Now to get back to the Gray Fox in Ganredhel's house in Cheydinhal.
The Gray Fox thanked me for getting him the boots. He paid me 500 gold coins for my efforts.
- One can get an additional 500 septims if the Hero talks to Armand Christophe after having the Boots but before talking to The Gray Fox. S'krivva does not do this.
- Springheel Jak's name, Jakben Imbel, is a play on "Jack Be Nimble," a nursery rhyme about jumping.
- The name Springheel Jak is a reference to Spring-Heeled Jack, a figure from English folklore.
- The servant may also give hints that Jakben Imbel is a vampire. For example, he claims that his master is 'finding something to eat' during the nights.
- During the quest The Ultimate Heist, if the Hero has a high enough agility (expert level or higher), then they are able to keep the Boots as they are able to survive the fall the boots are usually required for.
*It is possible to freeze your game if you read his diary, then drop it, then read it again, if it is timed right, the quest update and diary will both appear at the same time, and freeze your game.
- It is possible that if you do not retrieve the book of genealogy first, but go straight down to the crypts and find the diary that when you kill Jakben he is simply wearing Glass Boots and not the Boots of Springheel Jak.
- It is possible to not fight Jakben if you are arrested by the city guards for breaking in. A guardsman will try to arrest you and if you choose to pay fines or go to jail, Jakben will not show up and never will. Therefore you will not be able to get the Boots of Springheel Jak