- Main article: Random Encounters (Skyrim)
A bounty collector will intercept the Dragonborn on the roads of Skyrim should a crime—or series of crimes—carry a very high bounty within a particular hold,. The bounty collector is a high-level guard who tries to arrest the Dragonborn, if they have a high bounty in a hold.
Like the Hired Thugs, they are statistically equivalent to a Bandit Chief and as such come equipped with a leveled suit of heavy armor and often an enchanted weapon and are not to be taken lightly. He or she will approach and attempt to collect the bounty. If the Dragonborn cannot or will not pay, the bounty collector becomes hostile and attacks.
- Paying off the bounty will remove the criminal status within that hold and thus prevent further attacks or arrest attempts by the guards when the Dragonborn is in that hold. However, if the bounty is high enough, the bounty collector will not talk to collect the bounty; instead, he or she may immediately attack until the Dragonborn is dead (it is unknown if it is a bug or scripted combat).
- Results of payment may not be immediate due to the fact that the bounty collecter has to walk all the way to the jarl of the hold to deliver the bounty. Be wary of fast traveling to an associated city immediately after paying the bounty collector.
This section contains bugs related to Bounty Collector. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Whiterun Hold being paid while in Riverwood.) The bounty collector will attempt to collect a bounty that was already paid in an outlying city. (Such as a bounty in
- The dialogue options may say "Pay 0 Gold." This can also occur randomly if the Dragonborn has no bounty and never been wanted in that hold.
- There may still be a bounty even after the Bounty Collector has been paid.
- The bounty collector may not show up at all, even though the Dragonborn has had a bounty for a long time.
- The bounty collector may not allow the option of payment, attacking immediately.