When Burd joined the Bruma guard is unknown. He is notable for being the only Nord guard in a primarily Nordic city. As Captain, Burd instructs his men to respect the local Nords and their customs; the townspeople consider him tough, but fair. He also serves as an advisor to Countess Carvain.
Shortly after the start of the Crisis, Mythic Dawn spies began operating in Bruma, probing for weaknesses in nearby Cloud Ruler Temple in preparation for an assault. Though Burd and his guard fear that spies have infiltrated the city, they have little information to go on. Burd is suspicious of Jearl, however, who has recently returned from a trip. Hoping to find evidence of espionage, Burd grants the Hero permission to search Jearl's house. Inside is proof that the spies are in the city and that they plan to attack Bruma and Cloud Ruler Temple by opening a Great Oblivion Gate.
After learning of this plot, Burd keeps the town guard on high alert, doing whatever he can to prevent Bruma from becoming another Kvatch. When Oblivion gates begin opening near the city, Burd quickly marshals Bruma's forces; he then enters the first gate to see what awaits them.
Burd fights alongside the rest of the defenders to protect the town during the Battle of Bruma while the Hero goes inside to close the Great Oblivion Gate.
Burd is a tough, determined guardsman, motivated above all else by dedication to his post; his concern for Bruma gives him pause when confronted with Martin Septim's plan. Burd seems to feel a sense of kinship with his fellow Nords in Bruma, whom he instructs his guard to respect as much as possible.
"What can I do for you?"
- Bruma "I make sure my guards treat the local Nords and their ways with respect."
"Be seeing you."
"I'm Captain Burd, commander of the Bruma Guard."
- Spies "Except for Jearl coming back from a trip down south, things are pretty quiet. Not much travel right now with the Oblivion Crisis. I've told my men to keep a sharp eye out, but I've had no reports of any strangers in town. What about you? Turned up anything suspicious?"
- Nothing of interest to report. "Alright. Anything I can do for you, just let me know."
(If Jearl is killed)
Spies "Nothing new to report on my end. Have you uncovered anything suspicious?"
- Jearl was a Mythic Dawn agent. "God's blood! So she was the spy? It seems there's no one you can trust these days. Since you're working with Cloud Ruler Temple, I'm going to authorize you to search Jearl's house. I'll pass the word to my men. We won't interfere."
- Spies "I trust that you handle things ... appropriately. The less I know about it, the better."
- Burd is first encountered in the quest "Spies."
- Burd is an essential character until the quest "Defense of Bruma," when he is no longer needed for the story to progress; he may die during the battle. His body, however, remains marked as essential, so he will not disappear.
This section contains bugs related to Burd. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Although Burd is a guard, he will never arrest the Hero. All of the guards' arrest dialogues are specifically for Imperial guards, but he is a Nord.