Burden can be obtained at lower levels, and always available at Edgar's Discount Spells. Members of the Cheydinhal Mages Guild sell Alteration spells, including leveled Burden spells. Spell Merchants at the Arcane University may have access to this spell effect. Once purchased, custom spells containing the Burden effect can be created at an Altar of Spellmaking.
- Burdening Touch: Burden 15 points for 15 seconds on Touch.
- Hindering Touch: Burden 35 points for 20 seconds on Touch.
- Encumbering Touch: Burden 50 points for 25 seconds on Touch.
- Oppressing Grasp: Burden 75 points for 30 on Touch.
- Weight of the World: Burden 60 points for 30 on Target.
The Cheydinhal Recommendation offers a tutorial of Feather, Water Breathing, and Burden. Vidkun, the guildhall's previous associate, drowned because he wore a Ring of Burden underwater. First appearing in The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, the spell was discontinued in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, along with Feather and Open.
To maximize effectiveness, it should be paired with Drain Strength, which lowers the weight limit on characters. Though not the most useful spell, many enemies utilize it to help bring you down. Its true usefulness shines when used in poisons, along with a Burden and Drain Strength enchantment on whatever weapon you are using.
It is possible create a custom spell at an Altar of Spellmaking, which casts Burden on self. This can be used underwater to kill oneself.