However, if Ulfric was killed during the Civil War quest line, Calder is appointed by the new Jarl, Brunwulf Free-Winter. When inactive as a follower, Calder resides at Hjerim or, if a Blade, he will be inside Sky Haven Temple.
"An Amulet of Mara? You're not married? [surprised chuckle] Surprising."
Interested in me, are you? "I am. I'd be glad to stand by your side until the Divines take us, i..if you'll have me."
- I will. Together, then. "Together."
- I'm sorry. I'm not interested. "[dejected sigh] I see."
|Stats at level 50|
As he already has a set, Calder will not equip steel armor, even if it has been upgraded at a workbench, though he will equip helmets. He will, however, equip unique sets of steel armor, such as General Tullius' Armor, after it has been improved.
- "Long life to you, Thane."
- "I am your sword and shield."
- "Honor to you, my Thane."
- "Ha ha! This is a fine wedding. And to think, it's for us!" —If spoken to just before the ceremony
- "I guess we have our entire lives together, now. Where should we live? You could always stay with me..." —After the ceremony, before choosing a residence.
- "Then I'll see you at home!" —After choosing a residence
- "You have quite a house. I'm thinking of starting a small store here. Sell odds and ends." —First time greeted in home
- "We've made a bit of gold. Here, love, this is your share." —Asked for store's profits
- "Here. Wouldn't want you going into a fight on an empty stomach. I'll have another meal ready tomorrow." —When asked to cook a meal
- "Bye, love." —Exiting conversation
- "It's good to see you again, dear." —Passing comment
- "Do you need anything, my love?" —Passing comment
- "Uh [nervous chuckle]...where were you thinking?" —When told to move to a different home
- "I'll rip your heart out!"
- "I'll carve you into pieces!"
- "By the Gods, you'll pay for that!"
- "Shor have mercy on you!"
- "Ysmir...curse you!"
- "Victory, or Sovngarde!"
- "Come on! Come on!"
- "We've stopped, what is it?"
- "Lead on then!"
- "Got a feeling there's trouble ahead." —Place with lots of enemies, or "boss" room
- "There's a cave. Animals or bandits inside, no doubt." —In front of a cave
- "Suddenly I feel...much better!" —Healing spell
- "By Ysmir, I feel...invincible!" —Courage
- "Look at these stones. Our ancestors knew how to build, no doubt." —Outside a Nordic tomb
- "I am sworn to carry your burdens." —When asked to trade
- "Get nervous around Dwarven stonework. Legends say that these cities are haunted." —In front of a Dwarven ruin
- "I'm heading back to your house if you need me, my Thane." —When dismissed as a follower
- "As you will, my Thane. I will protect you with my life."
- Calder is voiced by the same actor who voices Balgruuf the Greater and Vilkas, amongst some other characters.
- Calder and Argis the Bulwark are the only two male Housecarls in the base game.
- Calder is the only housecarl in the base game to not use a Steel Sword. Instead, he uses a Steel War Axe.
- Calder shares his appearance with that of Drahff, a bandit in the Ratway. The only differences are Drahff's lack of facial scars and a different hairstyle.
This section contains bugs related to Calder. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- With Dawnguard installed, when armed with a crossbow, Calder will rapidly raise and lower the weapon, preventing him from hitting a target.
- Staves given to him may duplicate, and he will use both of them. However, if one is taken from him, the other disappears.
- As is the case with many followers, if given a bow by the Dragonborn, Calder may still use the hunting bow in his initial inventory.
- Calder may greet the Dragonborn as a stranger when entering Hjerim.
- There is a rare glitch, where if he is the target for the Dawnguard quest Rescue, he will call the Dragonborn "my love" even if the Dragonborn is male and/or not married.
- When blocking and an enemy does a Power Attack, Calder may use the same sound file as a female Nord getting hurt. This does not happen if the enemy uses normal attacks while Calder is blocking.