Captain was a rank within the original Five Hundred Companions. Each captain commanded his own longboat and its crew of average 20-24 men.
After reaching Mereth and reclaiming Saarthal, the Circle of Captains was assembled. Despite Ysgramor being Harbinger, leader of the Five Hundred, it was decided that each captain and his crew should walk their own paths. Thus captains became largely independent.
During the events of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, the Fourth Era Companions do not use such a rank. It is possible that it faded away with the need of longboats as Companions gained footing in Skyrim. However, the idea of the Circle was still kept.
- Ysgramor, Harbinger of the Five Hundred Companions and captain of Ylgermet
- Yngol, captain of Harakk
- Ylgar, captain of Darumzu
- Jeek of the River, captain of Jorrvaskr
- Captain of Kaal Kaaz
- Captain of Sadon Reyth
- Roeth, captain of Krilot Lok
- Rhorlak, captain of Chrion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mentioned only)