Carriages are a type of transport in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Carriages fast travel the Dragonborn between Skyrim's major cities for a small fee. Over-encumbered individuals cannot use this mode of travel. Picking an undiscovered city prompts the driver to give information about it. Unlike fast traveling, which limits travel only to discovered locations, carriages can be used to reach cities that have not been visited previously, shortening walking time considerably.
- Kibell - Markarth Stables
- Thaer - Katla's Farm (Solitude)
- Bjorlam - Whiterun Stables
- Alfarinn - Windhelm Stables
- Sigaar - Riften Stables
- Engar - Windstad manor (Hearthfire)
- Gunjar - Lakeview Manor (Hearthfire)
- Markus - Heljarchen Hall (Hearthfire)
- In the unused dialogue files still left in Skyrim, it appears that the player was supposed to be able to travel to minor settlements such as Riverwood or Rorikstead or to stop at an inn instead of being limited to the Hold capitals.
Sometimes after riding it may permanently change the view by making it having a smaller view.
- Solutions; Reload a previous save.
- Open the start menu, then Quest Log, press Square to 'Show on Map' a quest objective marker, this forces the Map to open, where you can then fast travel to the carriage you were from, use the carriage and jump off the back without travelling anywhere i.e. paying. This resets the camera.
- If the carriage driver is murdered, he does not respawn.
- Sometimes when shooting arrows at the horse at Hearthfire homes, a bounty will be applied to Whiterun, regardless of the Hold the player is in. The carriage driver will also get off of the carriage, then get right back on.
- Sometimes the carriage driver only offers half of the possible destinations.
- The initiation of the loading screen after boarding usually cuts the driver's dialogue short. E.g., "Solitude is famous for its Bards College. Some of them can sing just---".
- Sometimes when the Dragonborn is over-encumbered or in god mode they can engage in dialogue with the carriage driver to go to a destination, but once they climb on to the carriage nothing happens and the carriage driver keeps urging the player to climb on to the carriage.
- Sometimes the player will only see the driver's seat and the driver.
- If the player is using god mode and is overencumbered, the driver will take their money and ask them to climb in the back, but nothing will happen upon doing so.
- When hiring a carriage while over-encumbered, the carriage will not function when boarded. This remains true even if excess weight is removed and try to board. To fix this, the player must to speak with the driver and rehire him before travelling will function.
- The game may crash upon arriving by carriage.
- Pressing the 'change view' button while boarding a carriage will lock the player's view in third person view but the Dragonborn will act as if in first person view. Repeating the process can fix this.
- The carriage drivers for Lakeview Manor, Windstad Manor and Heljarchen Hall will sometimes help defend against hostile threats to the homestead. Once all enemies have been killed, the drivers will return to and get back on their carriage.