|Spells/Abilities||Poison spit attack|
|Resistance||50% Poison Resistance|
Chaurus are large, venomous insects that live deep in the lightless caverns and chasms beneath Skyrim. They have been domesticated by the Falmer, and often live and fight alongside their masters. One should be sure to improve one's resistance to poison with potions or enchantments when facing them. They drop small valuables such as , a gem, or a ring.
For ranged attacks, the chaurus projects a stream of poison that drains health for five seconds. Using sharp pincers for melee attacks, the chaurus will repeatedly poison and slash its prey. In groups, the multiple poison attacks stack and can drain health in seconds.
There are four main varieties of chaurus: standard, Chaurus Reaper, Chaurus Hunter Fledgling, and Chaurus Hunter. The latter two are implemented by the add-on Dawnguard. Deep underground, in certain areas, chaurus reapers grow to be unusually large. These larger chaurus reapers are fast in movement but not very agile, yet still may be difficult to kill. The Chaurus makes a unique clacking sound to communicate, so if this noise is heard, there is a chaurus ready to strike.
While the hunter variant's existence in Skyrim is dependent on having Dawnguard installed, it is not limited to spawning in areas exclusive to the add-on. Any area that has any chaurus spawn may have Hunters spawn instead so long as the Dragonborn is of sufficient level.
Chaurus are similar to flies and caterpillars in that they have several stages of growth: from an egg, a chaurus will hatch and begin growing. Then, after an unknown amount of time, the chaurus will begin to die; they will then cover themselves with a thick resin to create a chrysalis. From there, the chaurus transforms into a hunter fledgling. In other cases, the chaurus will keep growing and become a chaurus reaper, and will then start to lay eggs in a nest.
Pods in a chaurus nest may be harvested for Chaurus Eggs, an ingredient used in alchemy. A dead chaurus may provide Chaurus Chitin, a material used to improve Falmer weapons and armor, and occasionally a few chaurus eggs. Though chaurus chitin may be used to improve Falmer armor, one cannot create any. A chaurus may also drop minor loot.
- Chaurus may be found alongside the western salt marshes of Hjaalmarch, as opposed to the mudcrabs that usually inhabit the area.
- The chaurus are used by the Falmer as both companions and cattle.
- When entering an underground or indoor area where live chaurus are present, their presence is indicated by a loud chittering noise.
- The Daedric Artifact Spellbreaker comes in handy against chaurus. Their poison-spit seems to count as a magical attack as it does no damage against wards―including the shield's ward.
- The Falmer are known to feed their chaurus human corpses. The chaurus will sometimes feed on the corpse of the Dragonborn if they manage to kill them.
- Often in areas inhabited by Falmer, the Dragonborn will find a sort of totem made from human shoulder-blades and ribs. Sometimes, there will also be a large, black, teardrop-shaped insect with three glowing eyes on its front end and a pair of pincers on its back end tied to the center. These cannot be damaged or looted.
- Chaurus bear a slight resemblance to earwigs.
- In some places inhabited by Falmer, one will sometimes find the carcasses of giant chaurus used for the supports of a Falmer tent.
- In pre-game art concepts, chaurus were originally intended to be mounts for Falmer riders.
|Creatures and Enemies (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)|
|Animals||Ants • Bear • Cave Bear • Chicken • Cow • Deer • Dog • Elk • Fox • Goat • Hawk • Horker • Horse |
Ice Wolf • Mammoth • Mudcrab • Rabbit • Sabre Cat • Salmon • Skeever • Slaughterfish • Snow Bear • Snow Fox • Wolf
|Creatures||Chaurus • Frostbite Spider • Frost Troll • Giant • Hagraven • Ice Wraith • Spriggan • Troll|
|Daedra||Dremora • Flame Atronach • Frost Atronach • Storm Atronach|
|Undead||Corrupted Shade • Dragon Priest • Draugr • Ghost • Magic Anomaly • Skeleton |
Subjugated Ghost • Wisp • Wispmother • Vampire
|Animunculi||Dwarven Centurion • Dwarven Sphere • Dwarven Spider|
|Dragons||Dragon • Blood Dragon • Frost Dragon • Elder Dragon • Ancient Dragon • Skeletal Dragon|