Chillwind Depths is a cave located in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
Chillwind Depths initial chambers are populated with Frostbite Spiders. There are plenty of mushrooms growing through the entire cave, which makes it an excellent place for harvesting ingredients.
Many of its tunnels are flooded or partially filled with water. There's a hidden underwater chamber which can only be reached by diving. There are some breathing spots, making it possible to reach it without the need of Water Breathing Potions. The underwater chamber contains a locked (Apprentice) chest with gold and a Dwarven Helmet. *there are some iron ore veins located in the cave system as well
Deeper inside the cave there is a small Falmer settlement, populated by different ranks of Falmer and Chaurus. Throughout the dungeon the player will find adventurers and prisoners dead bodies, among them the body of one Firir, with a Torn Note that reads:
- "They fell upon us at dusk. Dozens of them. The caravan guards were dead in moments. They took everyone else back to the pens. Blinded those who tried to resist.
- One by one they've taken the others away - feeding us to those monstrosities, or worse. I don't have much time left. Eydis, my love, if you ever get this, forgive me.
The last chamber appears to be a place where sacrifice rituals were held, with a stone altar and a dead prisoner body over it. There are blood stains and a Falmer Sword on the altar, as well as dozens of human skeletons in the water beneath it. Beyond it there is a last room with good loot inside an unlocked chest to the left and over a table to the right.
- Alternative Route
After entering the cave, directly infront of you is a pillar of rock leaning to the left. Circling around this pillar allows you to jump onto it. A quick look around will allow you to see a spider-web covered doorway, (the shortcut exit to the cave). Aim at the doorway and use Whirlwind Sprint, you'll only need a single word of the shout, and you should land safely insinde the corridor. This allows you to loot the end room without combat and also provides you with a perfect opportunity to get a sneak attack on the Boss enemy at the end of the corridor (He spawns with his back to the corridor)
- Chaurus Reaper
- Falmer Nightprowler
- Falmer Shadowmaster
- Falmer Skulker
- Frostbite Spider
- Slaughterfish and Slaughterfish Egg in the pond just outside the entrance
- An Orichalcum Ore Vein after the first room full of mushrooms.
- Orcish Armor in an underwater chest near the entrance.
- Lots of Falmer Weapons and Armor.
- 130+ Chaurus Eggs.
- Hundreds of mushroom Alchemy Ingredients including Bleeding Crown, Blisterwort, Fly Amanita, Glowing Mushroom, Imp Stool, Namira's Rot and White Cap.
- The Lockpicking Skill Book, Advances in Lock Picking on the table in the last room.
- An Adventurer's Journal in an abandoned camp on the main road towards Dragon Bridge tells of frequent attacks and kidnappings of trade caravans. According to the journal, the Adventurer (presumably Firir) states his suspicion something more sinister than bandits are behind the attacks and his intention to investigate Chillwind Depths.
- Along the road south from Whiterun, there is a similar encounter with a dead female merchant whose journal mentions her fear of traveling along the road after reports of attacks. Her husband was presumably taken into the cave as a sacrifice, or he may be the Nord lying dead on the other side of the wagon.
- Eydis can be found at the Old Hroldan Inn, but no dialogue option regarding Firir is present (confirmed on PC).
- A Solitude Guard will occasionally inform the player that a lot of travelers have been disappearing without trace south of Dragon Bridge, adding the Chillwind Depths location to the Map.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)