All city guards wear very similar armor sets, differences are normally just the color of the sash and material of the undershirt used, either steel or chain mail. They also wear the same helmets.
City guards also carry a shield which varies in color, and typically displays the insignia of the County across the front.
City guards are all from the Imperial Legion and as such are normally Imperial. They all perform the same duties and have the same dialogue, although it may differ depending on the faction they're a part of.
The guards are led by a captain, who reports to the local Count or Countess. Their duty is to uphold peace and order throughout the city and county, as well as ensuring justice is had in the event of a crime. Additionally, they are the last line of defense of their city in the event of assault or invasion.
|Anvil City Guard||Anvil|
|Bravil City Guard||Bravil|
|Bruma City Guard||Bruma|
|Cheydinhal City Guard||Cheydinhal|
|Chorrol City Guard||Chorrol|
|Bittneld the Curse-Bringer||000234A6|
|Imperial Watch Guard||Imperial City|
Captain Gepard Montrose
|Kvatch City Guard||Kvatch|
|Leyawiin City Guard||Leyawiin|
|Skingrad City Guard||Skingrad|
The Imperial Watch are members of the Imperial Legion who patrol the Imperial City and the rest of the province. They normally wear Legion Armor in the Imperial City, while other members of the Watch wear Imperial Horseman helmets. The Palace Guard wear a similar version called the "Imperial Watch Armor." This armor is different from the normal guard armor and it looks more like plate armor. A subcategory of the Imperial Watch are the Legion Battlemages, who guard the Arcane University. They wear the same plate armor as the regular Imperial Watch, but instead of the helmet, they wear a hood. In combat, they will use both a silver longsword and Destruction magic. Furthermore, a different type of Imperial Watch can be found around the Imperial City Palace; Palace Guards. Members of the Palace Guard are clad in a suit similar to the regular Imperial Steel Armor, but colored silver, gold and red.
Within the walls of a city, and the surrounding countryside, any crime committed gains the attention of the guards; the nearest will move to the perpetrator, informing them that they have broken the law, and gives three options; pay the fine, resist arrest, or go to jail.
If the perpetrator chooses to pay the fine, the guard will take them to the nearest castle and take whatever bounty was placed on them as payment, as well as search them for all stolen item in their possession. If the fine cannot be paid, due to lack of gold, the option will not be given.
If the perpetrator accepts the jail sentence, they will be sent to the nearest castle to serve their sentence, based on the size of the bounty; the larger the bounty, the longer the sentence.
If the perpetrator resists arrest, the entire guard will immediately engage them, attacking until yielded, or until the perpetrator is dead, or fled from the fight.
If the guard has a disposition of 91 or more, they will not immediately react to a low and non violent crime, looking away as long as the crime is minor.
Strangers in town "Not on my watch. Captain Burd will know for sure, though. We all report to him."
Pilgrimage, Anvil GuardEdit
"I wouldn't go in there unless you have a strong stomach. We have orders to leave everything just the way it was until the investigation into the Chapel attack is finished."
- Anvil Chapel attack "It's baffling. How anyone could have gotten in and out of there without being seen by our patrols is beyond me. Maybe that Prophet is right. Some kind of unholy doom visited upon us."
- Prophet "He preaches most of the day across the street from the Chapel. I used to think he was crazy, but now he seems to be making some kind of sense. I hope that doesn't mean I'm going crazy now."
"What're you doing here? You don't look like one of the party guests. I don't remember you on the list."
- Dinner Party "This is a classy event. I don't know you. I don't like you. And you're not dressed for it, anyway."
- "I don't know who you are, and I'm not all that sure about you. But, you're dressed for it. Can't imagine dressing up for any other reason. Go on in."
"Right. A big, fancy dinner party. You seem likeable, but not so much that I'd just let you in there. And not dressed like that."
- "Well, you're dressed for it, and you seem like a really good person. You can go in. Sorry to have bothered you."
- "Hmmm... don't know that you're dressed for it, but you seem a really likeable sort. I'll let you in. I'better not regret this."
Mazoga the Orc, Leyawiin City WatchEdit
Leyawiin "Orc named Mazoga say she's a knight. I doubt it. The Count wants it looked into. Why don't you talk to him. The Count appears for audiences in the County Hall near the throne weekdays between 8 AM and 4 PM."
- Leyawiin "You can speak to the Count near the throne weekdays between eight in the morning and four in the afternoon."
The Wayward Knight, Cheydinhal GuardEdit
Cheydinhal "Count Indarys has ordered us to hold our positions until Farwil returns from inside that accursed Oblivion Gate."
- Oblivion Gate "I don't know where it came from, but a mysterious gate appeared outside the walls of our city. The way the guards are reacting, it must be a threat. They're massing as if bracing for an attack. The portal is just outside the city walls through the west gates if you want to see for yourself. Be careful, some say the gate leads to the realm of Oblivion itself!"
- Oblivion Gate "If the guards don't do something about the Oblivion Gate soon, I'm leaving town. It's not safe here!"
Corruption and Conscience, Cheydinhal GuardEdit
"I'm sorry, no one except for Cheydinhal City Guard are allowed inside this home. Due to outstanding fines owed to the city, Aldos Othran's property has been seized and is now sealed until further notice. Good day."
(After Aldos Othran is killed)
"Move along, citizen. There's nothing to be done here."
- Aldos Othran "You saw what happened, I had no choice. Aldos attacked first, and I had to defend myself. If you don't like it, take it up with Ulrich."
"Move along please."
|"Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch! I'm confiscating your stolen goods, now pay your fine or it's off to jail."||Crime|
|"Stop! You violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are now forfeit."||Crime|
|"It's all over, lawbreaker! Your spree is at an end. I'll take any stolen goods you have. The next move is yours. Pay your fine, or I'll haul you away!"||Crime|
|"Well now, what do we have here? Caught in the act and no gold to pay your fine? I'm confiscating your stolen goods. Now it's off to jail with ya!"||Crime|
|"Break the law on my watch, will ya? I'll be confiscating your stolen goods. Oh, and no gold to pay your fine, hmm? It's off to the lockup then!"||Crime|
|"Then pay with your blood!"||Resisting arrest|
|"Hope you rot, criminal scum."||Serving time in prison|
|"Is there a problem, citizen?"||General|
|"You have my ear, citizen."||General|
|"Hail, good citizen! How can I be of service?"||General|
|"Keep moving, scum!"||General|
|"Someone's been murdered!"||Upon seeing a dead body|
|"It's... It's you! The Hero of Kvatch! This is truly an honor!"||After completion of "The Battle for Castle Kvatch"|
|"By the Nine Divines! Assault!"||Upon witnessing assault|
|"All hail the champion of Cyrodiil!"||After completion of the main questline|
|"You. I've seen your kind before. You've got blood on your hands. Keep your blade sheathed, you murdering bastard, or I'll put you down myself."||After the player has murdered someone|
|"This is the part where you fall down and bleed to death!"||Combat|
|"Why... won't... you... die?"||Combat|
|"You dare oppose the might of the Imperial Legion?!"||Combat|
|"You should have paid the fine!"||Combat|
|"I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than you!"||Combat|
|"I'm just warming up, you pathetic worm!"||Combat|
|"To arms! To arms!"||Combat|
|"For the Empire!"||Combat|
|"You're the Gray Fox! You're under arrest for... for... for all kinds of stuff! You're wanted dead or alive. I'm choosing dead."||If the player wears the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal|
|"You're wanted dead or alive, Gray Fox! This will be easier if you're dead."||If the player wears the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal|
|"Feeding time is over, vampire! Go back to the grave that spawned you!"||If the player is a Vampire|
|"Stop, criminal! I've heard of you. Your criminal exploits are well-known. Pay the fine or serve your sentence. Your stolen goods are forfeit."||If the player has a bounty on their head|
|"Looks like you are in some trouble. Since we are friends, don't worry. I'll look the other way and take care of that fine for you."||If the player has a disposition of 91 or higher with the guard|
|"I don't usually take bribes, but I'll look the other way just this once. If I see you again though, I'll have to arrest you."||If the player tries to bribe the guard, and has a high disposition with him. It does not appear in-game, and counts as cut content|
Audens Avidius: "So? What do you have to report?"
Imperial Watch: "Had something of a false alarm earlier. Some Khajiit, acting suspicious. Turns out he was just grooming his tail."
Audens Avidius: "You're a good man. We could use more like you, that's for damned sure. You ask me, you'll be getting that promotion in no time."
Imperial Watch: "Just remember, my sword's here if you need it. You run into any trouble, just holler."
Aldos Othran: "This is my house! Get out of the way... move, I say!"
Cheydinhal Guard: "Sir, this property has been seized by his lordship, the Count of Cheydinhal. Leave immediately."
Aldos Othran: "I said move! Or by my ancestors I'll put you on the ground with a split lip!"
Cheydinhal Guard: "Sir, I must warn you that threatening a city guardsman is an offense punishable by a fine of no less than 50 gold. Pay or be jailed."
Aldos Othran: "You s'wit! How dare you! Ulrich be damned! He can take his fine and stuff it up his backside!"
Cheydinhal Guard: "You've been warned. You are now under arrest. Please, come with me."
Aldos Othran: "I'll go nowhere with you, fetcher! Nowhere!"
- Guards are not fooled by the invisibility spell when attempting an arrest.
- Guards are not fooled by non-guards wearing guard armor, regardless of reputation, skills, or armor faction.
- Guards will recognize the Hero even if their face is concealed.
- Wearing the Gray Cowl of Nocturnal will cause City Guards and Imperial Watchmen to automatically attempt an arrest on sight. However, removing the Cowl will remove the bounty. The guards will no longer attempt an arrest, even if the Cowl was removed in plain sight. They will attempt an arrest when the Cowl is equipped again.
- Every guard is voiced by Wes Johnson.
- Sometimes, even if a criminal act takes place outside the city walls without witnesses, guards may attempt to arrest the Hero anyway. They will also say their according lines to it occasionally.
- Resurrected guards (through the Staff of Worms for instance) will attack the Hero if living guards do the same.