A relatively vain being, Clavicus Vile created a masque suited to his own personality. The bearer of the masque is more likely to get a positive response from the people of Tamriel, though Clavicus can recall it whenever he pleases.
The best known story of the masque tells the tale of Avalea, a noblewoman of some renown. As a young girl, she was grossly disfigured by a spiteful servant. Avalea made a dark deal with Clavicus Vile and received the masque in return. Though the masque did not change her looks, suddenly she had the respect and admiration of everyone. A year and a day after her marriage to a well-connected baron, Clavicus reclaimed his masque. Although pregnant with his child, Avalea was banished from the Baron's household. Twenty one years and one day later, Avalea's daughter claimed her vengeance by slaying the Baron.
- Main article: Masque of Clavicus Vile (Daggerfall)
- Main article: Masque of Clavicus Vile (Morrowind)
- Main article: Masque of Clavicus Vile (Oblivion)
The Masque of Clavicus Vile is the reward received from Clavicus Vile's quest. It is a unique helm that resembles the head of a man with a goatee beard wearing a horned, Conquistador-esque helmet. It is enchanted with Personality +20.
The Masque may also be destroyed during the quest Blood of the Daedra.
- Main article: Masque of Clavicus Vile (Skyrim)
- The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
- The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
- The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim