If the Dragonborn chooses to destroy the Dark Brotherhood, Commander Maro provides them with the pass phrase for the Falkreath Sanctuary. Alternatively, siding with the Dark Brotherhood allows the Dragonborn to assassinate Maro for an added bonus, during the assassination of the Emperor.
After the death of the Emperor's cousin, Vittoria Vici, Emperor Titus Mede II's visit to Skyrim becomes almost apparent. As the Emperor's visit approaches, Maro assigns his son, Gaius Maro, to verify the security of the major Holds. However, Gaius meets his demise at the hands of the Listener.
Later, Commander Maro intercepts the Listener after he or she successfully assassinates a decoy of the Emperor, after the Listener is betrayed by Astrid. Maro promised to spare Astrid and the Brotherhood if she gave up the Listener, but consumed by hatred for the Brotherhood for killing his son, Maro goes back on his word, ordering his Penitus Oculatus agents to kill the Listener and leading the Penitus Oculatus to destroy the Falkreath Sanctuary, seeking to kill everyone in the Dark Brotherhood. The Listener escapes the wrath of Maro's agents and returns to the Sanctuary to find it in flames, kicking off the mission Death Incarnate.
The Dragonborn can choose to kill Commander Maro, although his death is optional. If the Dragonborn chooses to kill him, if he spots the Dragonborn when they are near him he will say, "You again!" If they interact with him, he will exclaim in utter disbelief at their survival and immediately attack them to finish the job. Once aboard the ship, when the Dragonborn enters the Emperor's room, Titus will state, "Well, once again I have proven Commander Maro the fool," presumably because Maro informed the Emperor that the Dark Brotherhood was destroyed.
- If the Dragonborn chooses not to kill Maro, they can find him at the Solitude Docks. If they decide to talk to him, he will respond with, "You? But you're dead!" and then attack. If the Dragonborn retaliates, they will not get a bounty.
- After completing the quest "Destroy the Dark Brotherhood!," Maro may attend the Dragonborn's wedding. He will congratulate them on their wedding, then revert to his normal line ("I will personally inform the Emperor...").
- Killing his son, Gaius, may result in getting a bounty in "Commander Maro's Crime Faction." It is unknown if this is a glitch or not.
- Should the Stormcloaks win the war with Maro still being alive, he will remain in Dragon Bridge along with Penitus Oculatus Agents.
- Maro can still be killed if he wasn't killed in the quest "Hail Sithis!"