Conjuration is a skill in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and is one of the six skills that falls under The Mage play-style. The conjuration skill is raised by casting Conjuration spells while enemies have detected the caster. The summoning aspects of Conjuration raises the skill by the amount of time/damage output used in combat; these spells identify themselves as Conjuration spells and generally focus on summoning creatures from Oblivion or concocting ethereal weapons from soul energy. Since Mysticism was removed, Soul Trap is now a Conjuration spell.
After the Dragonborn reaches around level 30 in Conjuration, guards may say:
"Hail summoner, conjure me up a warm bed, would you?"
Governing Guardian Stone: The Mage
Books and quests
The following books provide a permanent skill up to Conjuration. Exact locations of each book are found on their individual pages.
- 2920, Hearth Fire (v9)
- 2920, Frostfall (v10)
- Liminal Bridges
- The Doors of Oblivion
- The Warrior's Charge
- Oghma Infinium - reading the "Path of Magic" increases Conjuration by 5, as well as all other spell-oriented skills.
The following Quests increase the Conjuration skill:
- Find Pantea's Flute for Pantea Ateia in the Bards College in Solitude. This quest also increases Alteration, Enchanting, Destruction, Restoration, and Illusion.
The following is a complete list of Conjuration spells:
|Rank||Skill Level Requirement||Spell Name||Description||Magicka Base Cost|
|Novice||0||Bound Sword||Creates a magic sword for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||93|
|Conjure Familiar||Summons a Familiar for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||107|
|Raise Zombie||Reanimate a weak dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||103|
|Summon Unbound Dremora*||Summons an unbound Dremora.||100|
|Apprentice||25||Bound Battleaxe||Creates a magic battle axe for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||169|
|Conjure Boneman***||Summons a Boneman archer for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||78|
|Conjure Flame Atronach||Summons a Flame Atronach for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||150|
|Flaming Familiar*||Summons a Flaming Familiar which will charge into battle and explode.||57|
|Reanimate Corpse||Reanimate a more powerful dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||144|
|Soul Trap||If a target dies within 60 seconds, fills a soul gem.||107|
|Spectral Arrow**||Fires a Spectral Arrow at the target doing 30 points of damage and staggering the target.||50|
|Summon Arniel's Shade*||Summons the Shade of Arniel Gane for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||0|
|Summon Arvak***||Summons the horse Arvak wherever the caster is pointing.||83|
|Adept||50||Banish Daedra||Weaker summoned daedra are sent back to Oblivion.||196|
|Bound Bow||Creates a magic bow for 120 seconds. Sheathe it to dispel.||207|
|Conjure Frost Atronach||Summons a Frost Atronach for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||215|
|Revenant||Reanimate a powerful dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||183|
|Expert||75||Command Daedra||Powerful summoned and raised creatures are put under the player's control.||243|
|Conjure Dremora Lord||Summons a Dremora Lord for 60 seconds.||209|
|Conjure Wrathman***||Summons a Wrathman from the Soul Cairn for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||209|
|Conjure Storm Atronach||Summons a Storm Atronach for 60 seconds wherever the caster is pointing.||184|
|Dread Zombie||Reanimate a very powerful dead body to fight for the player for 60 seconds.||302|
|Expel Daedra||Powerful summoned daedra creatures are sent back to Oblivion.||215|
|Master||100||Dead Thrall||Reanimate a dead body permanently to fight for the player.||618|
|Flame Thrall||Summons a Flame Atronach permanently.||556|
|Frost Thrall||Summons a Frost Atronach permanently.||679|
|Storm Thrall||Summons a Storm Atronach permanently.||741|
* Special spells
** Spectral Arrow is only available in the testing hall for PC or by converting a save from PC into a Xbox or PS3 save and is not included in the actual game.
***Requires Dawnguard DLC
Master spells can't be purchased initially. To unlock Master Conjuration spells, the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest must be completed upon reaching level 90 Conjuration.
The following are Conjuration spells that the character can start with if the correct race is selected:
The following are the perks that become available to select as the skill is leveled up:
|Novice Conjuration||None||Cast Novice level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Conjuration Dual Casting||Conjuration 20, Novice Conjuration||Dual casting a Conjuration spell overcharges the effects into a longer lasting version|
|Mystic Binding||Conjuration 20, Novice Conjuration||Bound weapons do more damage|
|Apprentice Conjuration||Conjuration 25, Novice Conjuration||Cast Apprentice level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Summoner (2)||Conjuration 30/70, Novice Conjuration||Can summon Atronachs, raise undead or Dremora lords 2x as far away (3x for second rank at Conjuration 70)|
|Soul Stealer||Conjuration 30, Mystic Binding||Bound weapons cast Soul Trap on targets|
|Necromancy||Conjuration 40, Novice Conjuration||Greater duration for reanimated undead|
|Atromancy||Conjuration 40, Summoner||Double duration for conjured Atronachs and Dremora Lords|
|Oblivion Binding||Conjuration 50, Soul Stealer||Bound weapons will banish summoned creatures and turn raised ones|
|Adept Conjuration||Conjuration 50, Apprentice Conjuration||Cast Adept level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Dark Souls||Conjuration 70, Necromancy||Reanimated undead have 100 points more health|
|Expert Conjuration||Conjuration 75, Adept Conjuration||Cast Expert level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
|Elemental Potency||Conjuration 80, Atromancy||Conjured Atronachs are 50% more powerful|
|Twin Souls||Conjuration 100, Elemental Potency OR Dark Souls||The player can have two Atronachs, reanimated zombies or Dremora Lords|
|Master Conjuration*||Conjuration 100, Expert Conjuration||Cast Master level Conjuration spells for half magicka|
- Casting Soul Trap on a dead creature or humanoid will raise the skill, presumably because a dead body is still considered by the game as a valid target for other Conjuration spells. The Player can cast it repeatedly with no wait time and raise it to 100 fairly quickly (the player can cast it on his/her own horse). As Soul Trap can be purchased early in the game, leveling in this manner can quickly lead to the player being unable to combat the tougher enemies later on (unless your destruction skill is already high), so plan accordingly. It is possible to level quickly in this manner by waiting for an hour over the dead body every time the player's magika gets low and then casting again.
- Raising a dead body then attacking it will increase the player's Conjuration and whatever other skills they use to kill it.Bound weapons can be used. In a way, this can more than double the experience. If the player is a thief and he/she wants to increase their sneak skill, they can do so by crouching behind their undead minion and then getting sneak attacks on it. Be careful, as after about 2 or 3 hits on it, it will start attacking the player. Since sneak attacks will increase damage significantly, if they want to level up more warrior-based skills, they could simply hit it until it's dead once more.
- Summoning an Atronach then banishing it right away will raise the skill.
- While detected by an enemy, repeatedly casting Bound Sword then sheathing it to dispel will quickly level Conjuration.
- The Bound Sword spell is a very good way to level, because the player can summon two swords at a time, and increase its level very fast. It also levels their one-handed when they attack using the summoned sword(s). It has fairly strong attack damage, so it's more than efficient.
- Summoning an Atronach and then killing it with a Bound Sword works twice as well because the player's skill increases by using the two spells, increases further when attacking the Atronach with the Bound Sword, and also helps increase One-Handed as well. Using this is somewhat risky, as the unexpecting conjurer might be killed by the Atronach when it turns hostile.
- The Bound Sword trick works even faster if cast it in front of an enemy. A simple way to do this, is to lure a giant to the Western Watchtower, near Whiterun. As it attempts to get through the archway, repeatedly cast the spell, and level up after only 5+ castings. Another easier way is to go to Cragslane Cavern, and after clearing it of its foes (a few bandits), 2 pit wolves are caged up near the boss chest, allowing the player to safely level up his magic skills.
- Fighting enemies with a Bound Bow while sneaking will allow the player to increase Conjuration, Sneak, and Archery simultaneously. The Bound Bow also has fairly high attack power and staggering ability when combined with the right perks.
- Summoned beings that enter battle give conjuration skill, so all that is needed is to repeatably summon the highest level summon (be it an Atronach, or Dremora Lord if at expert level), attack until it fights back in retaliation, and then summon a replacement to repeat the process. If using bound weapons to attack the summons, skill gain is faster.
- An easy way is to go to the Western Watchtower, near there are some mudcrabs. Simply get their attention and continuously use bound sword in both hands. They are easy to outmaneuver and its an easy way to level the skill.
- A quick way is at the lake next to the Guardian Stones. Swim until you find one or more Slaughterfish and then get to land, the Slaughterfish will keep trying to reach you but cannot get out of the water. From there cast Bound Sword in each hand simultaniously, then put them away and repeat over and over. (Don't Dual Cast) Using this method your skill will reach 100 within an hour and it can be used early since Bound Sword is one of the first spells available. It's recommended you wear items to recover Magika faster, i.e: Amulet of Akatosh.
- One may also go to Helgen, killing all but one bandit, then standing atop of one of the walls (jumping onto some rubble to get to the top). Summon a Familiar and Conjure a Bound Sword, and kill the the wolf. Repeat. After approximately 2 hours, you should have reached 100 conjuration. (time from level 26 to 100 Conjuration).
- Soul trapping a cow isn't necessarily illegal (if done out of sight of guards and/or townfolk) and still gains the player experience. This is incredibly useful as the cow won't run away and never has to die. Doing this repeatedly will give more experience.
- Combining the perk Twin Souls from the Conjuration tree and the Extra Effect perk from the Enchanting tree, players can craft Fortify Conjuration and Fortify Destruction gear to reduce the casting costs for both schools to 0. Utilizing this, players can summon two Thralls then proceed to cast Destruction spells all for free.
- Combining Twin Souls with Dead Thrall can be very effective, especially if the zombies are high level casters capable of creating their own summoned/animated underlings. One companion ( if they can't summon the player can give them a Staff to allow them to summon as well ), two reanimated master conjurers, and their summoned pets makes an instant army of 6 as well as the player. Unfortunately Dead Thrall seems not to be as permanent as it claims, as the zombies always seem to spontaneously disappear after a while even if they're in full view of the player.
- Currently a glitch exists where if the player has an active Spell Absorption effect (Alteration Perk, Atronach Perk, Dragonskin Power, etc.) then thier summon spells will be absorbed when cast for no net magicka cost. This can be increasingly frustrating the higher Spell Absorption they have, given that while in combat, they may have to summon multiple times before it is successful.
- Casting Soul Trap on a corpse will cause it to become immune to any attempts at resurrecting it.
- Conjured followers are unaffected by the difficulty setting and thus retain the same effectiveness across all difficulty settings.
- An easy way of leveling Conjuration is to summon a Familiar or a weaker Daedra such as the flame Atronach, and use Banish Daedra on it. A similar method can be used with the Destruction tree to attack a self-summoned creature and then attack it with the player's most powerful magic.
- As a humorous note it is possible to have a pet bunny, or in fact any other non hostile animal. Just kill it and then re-animate the corpse. This has no practical use, but for role playing it might be good.
- If the player raises the body of an enemy that is a conjurer, it's summonings and undead may be hostile to them.
- A very effective combination using Twin Souls, is a conjured Dremora Lord (Using two hands) and the shout Call of Valor to summon one of the three original tongues (Since Call of Valor is a shout not a spell, both can be cast one after the other) There is very little that can stand against both a Dremora Lord AND Hakon One-eye. (There seems to be a bit of a glitch when using typical conjurations (Summon Dremora Lord) and special conjurations (Call of Valor) Even when the player has Twin Souls, a Dremora Lord will disappear if Call of Valor is cast after it. To avoid this simply remember to cast special conjurations first, then cast a typical conjuration)
- It is not recommended to summon Atronachs at low levels while fighting Dragon Priests as they can use the spell Command Daedra.
- The best way to level up Conjuration if the player plans to go with the one-handed perk skill trees to buy "Bound Sword" and use it mainly as it increases one-handed and conjuration even with out the Guardian Stone "Mage" it levels quickly over all other methods. Dual casting it in each hand separately also increases the rate to which it skill ups while near enemies.
Upon reaching Conjuration skill level 90, Phinis Gestor at The College of Winterhold offers the Conjuration Ritual Spell quest to teach the player how to permanently summon a Flame Atronach / Frost Atronach / Storm Atronach / Dead Thrall . After completion, Phinis first gives the player Summon Flame Thrall , then offers all other Master level Conjuration Spell Tomes to the player for a fee of roughly 3,000 , this price varies on the player's Speech skill perks and/or Barter enchantment(s) on items.
| Banish Daedra • Bound Sword • Bound Battleaxe • Bound Bow • Command Daedra • Conjure Dremora Lord |
Conjure Familiar • Conjure Flaming Familiar • Conjure Flame Atronach • Conjure Frost Atronach • Conjure Storm Atronach
Dead Thrall • Dread Zombie • Expel Daedra • Flame Thrall • Frost Thrall • Raise Zombie • Reanimate Corpse • Revenant
Soul Trap • Storm Thrall • Summon Arniel's Shade • Summon Unbound Dremora
|Conjure Boneman • Conjure Mistman • Conjure Wrathman • Summon Arvak|
|Bound Dagger • Conjure Ash Guardian • Conjure Ash Spawn • Conjure Seeker|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Conjuration Ritual Spell • Magicka • Perks • Magic • The College of Winterhold • Conjuration trainers |
Resurrection • Necromancy • Banish