|Conjuration Ritual Spell|
|Quest Giver||Phinis Gestor|
|Location||The College of Winterhold|
|Prerequisite||Conjuration level 90|
|Reward||Master-level Conjuration spells|
|Faction||The College of Winterhold|
Once the Dragonborn reaches a Conjuration Skill of level 90, Phinis Gestor will teach the Summon Unbound Dremora spell, which can only be cast on the roof of the Hall of Attainment. (One may wish to open the Map in the Character Menu and set a marker on the location to help navigate the college grounds.) Once summoned, the Unbound Dremora attacks the Dragonborn, regardless of the dialogue choice.
Having a follower present helps, as the Dremora prefers close combat. The follower can serve as a decoy while the Dragonborn casts spells or shoots arrows from afar. Casting Banish or Expel Daedra repeatedly drains the Dremora's health but does not destroy it immediately as it would with lesser Daedra. Having the Oblivion Binding perk and using bound weapons on the dremora does not banish it as it would any other dremora or atronach. Without a follower, a Flame Atronach or other Conjured beings can serve as shields while the Dragonborn unleashes lethal Destruction spells. Lightning Bolt or Sparks are advised since Daedra are vulnerable to Shock damage.
Unrelenting Force may be used to throw him off the tower which will finish him off instantly. Summon him again, repeat, (for a total of three times), to finish the challenge.
If the Unbound Dremora cannot be summoned again before he submits, be sure that his soul hasn't been captured and the dialogue preceding each round of battle hasn't been skipped.
After defeating the Dremora, the Dragonborn orders him to retrieve the Sigil Stone. Re-summon him, accept the stone, then bring it to Phinis Gestor. Making this quest an active quest helps with locating him.
Phinis then rewards the Dragonborn with a Flame Thrall spell tome. Flame Thrall is a Master-level spell with a base cost of 534 Magicka without the Master Conjuration perk. The conjured being does not defuse with time, but its Health is limited. The "Twin Souls" perk allows two Flame Thralls to be summoned at once.
After this, Phinis offers the other Thrall-spells, for a considerable fee.
The Unbound Dremora will stay at the college.
- Sometimes, the Dremora's soul may be trapped in a black soul gem without stopping the quest.
- The Dremora's daedric weapon may be looted if one is quick enough.
- Followers may attack the Dremora immediately after it is summoned, allowing no dialogue to pass and preventing the Dragonborn from re-conjuring it.
- After the quest, the Dremora remains standing there, but will not move or interact with the environment. The player may try to start combat with it with spells/shouts/weapons, but to no avail. Occasionally, if this bug occurs, the Dremora will eventually start wandering the college as if he were a member, but cannot be talked to.
- Instead of submitting to the player after being defeated, the Dremora may die and be lootable. He will also be unable to be re-summoned.
- If the unbound dremora is summoned during a dragon attack, it may run away and disappear.
- Occasionally, if unrelenting force is used on the unbound Dremora Lord, it may fall off of the tower and not be killed by the fall, and is thus unable to be summoned again. The Dremora Lord may eventually run back to the College.
- On Completion of retrieving the Sigil stone, returning to Phinis and trying to talk to him may result in a loop of his Staff of Magnus quest dialogue.
- If the Dragonborn beheads the Dremora, and resummons him he may not have a head.
- If the sigil stone is given to Phinis after waking him up he will go back to sleep and the quest will be unable to be completed. To fix this, type setstage 00099f27 200 into the console. This will finish the quest as well as giving you the Flame Thrall tome.
- If the Dremora is killed without being talked to, he will be unable to be re-summoned.
- version 18.104.22.168.7 +dawnguard+hearthfire+dragonborn (no other mods): If you have Barbas as a quest follower (objective "retrieve the rueful axe" of the "daedra's best friend" quest) the first time you summon the unbound dremora the Dremora will begin the first phrase and then start attacking Barbas immediately; Barbas will be the only target (the Dremora wouldn't be marked as "enemy" on the compass). Thus, as there have been no dialogue, he cannot be resummoned after he is killed. Solution: before exiting to the roof, tell Barbas "stop following me". Then the dremora would talk to you normally.
- Upon retreiving the stone if the Dragonborn resets his conjuring skill by making it legendary Phinis will no longer offer the dialogue option to complete the quest.
|College of Winterhold Quests|
|Main Quest||First Lessons • Under Saarthal • Hitting the Books • Good Intentions |
Revealing the Unseen • Containment • Staff of Magnus • The Eye of Magnus
|Side Quests||Arniel's Endeavor • J'zargo's Experiment • Brelyna's Practice|
Onmund's Request • Out of Balance • Rejoining the College
|Master Spell Quests||Alteration Ritual Spell • Destruction Ritual Spell • Conjuration Ritual Spell |
Illusion Ritual Spell • Restoration Ritual Spell
|Radiant Quests||Aftershock • Tolfdir the Absent-Minded • Fetch Me That Book! • Shalidor's Insights |
Enchanting Pick-Up • Restocking Soul Gems
|Other Quests||Lost Apprentices • Daedric Relic|