|Contract: Kill Hern|
|Faction||The Dark Brotherhood|
This quest is given by the Dark Brotherhood. The player is to assassinate him. However, during dialogue, there is little indication that Hern or Hert are vampires, (Astrid implies that Hert is also a vampire), nor in terms of fighting; neither leaves vampire dust upon death. (However, Hert and Hern's faces show some physical elements of vampirism, with Hern's red eyes and Hert's "cracked" face, (a line/scar going down her cheek from her eye)).
When fighting, Hern uses a Steel battleaxe, and if disarmed with the Disarm shout, he will pull out a dagger, or use his fists. Hert behaves in a similar fashion, making it unlikely to contract Vampirism through combat.
- Hern leaves the hut and can be found alone, often around 9PM. The Dragonborn can sneak up and assassinate him without having to fight Hert, even if the kill is done right outside their door.
- Occasionally, Hert will be near or in the mill around 5:30PM, while Hern is in the house. Hern may play out the 'trespassing' script, asking the player to leave.
- Hert can also be found at the Mill around 12:30pm. She can be taken out easily with a sneak attack. Loot the key from her body, enter the house and kill Hern.
- If a Bloodcursed Elven Arrow is used to block out the sun, Hert may say phrases such as "It is our time now" and "The tyranny of the sun is over", things that a vampire would say.
- If the player is in good standing with Hert and kill her husband in front of her, which will cause her to turn hostile, killing her with the Ebony Blade will upgrade it.
- Strangely, there's no unique dialogue option with Hern if the player are vampire themselves like they have with Ma'randru-jo (as Khajiit) and Deekus (as Argonian).
- Another sign of vampirism among the two is resistance to Healing Hands which does not effect undead.
- If the player sheaths their weapon(s) during the fight both Hert and Hern will stop fighting and go about their business. Then use Ice Form on Hert to freeze her. Hern will sit back down at the table with his back turned toward the Dragonborn. A power attack on Hern, while crouched, may kill both Hern and Hert, even if Hert is across the room.
- There is also a way to kill Hern in front of Hert without having to fight her in the end. Just enter the house and backstab (kill) Hern. When Hert turns hostile, transform her using Wabbajack. and when she reverts she's not hostile anymore.