The Council of Mages is a small group within the Mages Guild that govern and guide it. They are tasked with deciding on polices of the Mages Guilds and enforcing them, they occasionally have to vote and decide on the Arch-Mage. The council's headquarters are located in the Arcane University in the Imperial City of Cyrodiil. The head of the council is the Arch-Mage.
- Hannibal Traven, The Arch-Mage of the guild, and head of the council.
- Raminus Polus, Master Wizard and Spell Merchant within the guild.
- Irlav Jarol, Magical researcher, specializing in Ayleid history and the right hand of the Arch-Mage.
- Caranya, Master Wizard and left hand of Arch-Mage Traven.
During the conflict between the Mages Guild and Mannimarco many members of the guild felt Necromancy should be permitted in order to stop Mannimarco. Others felt that the guild was in danger of being overpowered and their relics would be used for evil and therefore should be hidden elsewhere.
This lead to members of the Council breaking off from the guild. Irlave Jarol and Caranya both took relics and left, each with their own goals.
Irlave took the Bloodworm Helm to Fort Teleman to study it in hopes of finding a way to fight Mannimarco. However, Necromancers found out about this and laid siege to the fort. The Hero of Kvatch made it to the fort and found members of the Mage's Guild had been killed and the place was overrun with Daedra and necromancers. The helm was found on the corpse of Irlave.
Caranya had different plans on what to do with the artifact in her possession. She took the Necromancer's Amulet to Fort Ontus not to study or protect it, but to hand it over to Mannimarco. The Hero arrived to the fort in the hopes of bring the Amulet back. When Caranya saw that this was his goal she revealed her own plans and attacked him. the Hero took the amulet and fought his way out of the fort.
- The Grand Council of the The Synod appears to be the Synod's equivalent of the Council of Mages.