The Crazed Mercenary is a Knight Order quest available during the events of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall. Having joined a Knight Order and gained some reputation, the Agent is sent to kill an Orc Warlord.
After completing several quests for one of the ten Knight Orders of the Iliac Bay, the Agent will be accepted into said Order. From that point on they will have to make their way up the internal rank ladder to gain more lucrative and noteworthy quests, to improve their reputation.
- Speak with a Quester from a joined Knight Order.
- Head to and enter the specified dungeon.
- Track down and slay the Orc Warlord.
- Get back to the Quester before the time limit expires.
Having gained a small amount of reputation within a joined Knight Order, the Agent will be told of a "crazed, orc mercenary", recently reported to the Order. The local Quester of the Order states that the orc, a Warlord, has been conspiring with a group of mages to destroy the region. The Agent is duly sent to end their evil plans by killing the Warlord.
The Warmongering WarlordEdit
The Warlord is said to be lurking in a local dungeon, building up a sizeable force of orcs to enact the mages' plan. The Agent must enter the specified dungeon and battle their way through this Orcish army, as well as the usual set of dungeon based creatures and enemies. The Warlord itself can be found somewhere within, and is the only orc in need of slaying.
Once the Warlord has been killed, the Agent must escape from the dungeon and return to the Quester before the time limit expires to complete the quest.
The Agent will not receive any physical reward for completing the quest successfully, but will instead get a huge boost to their reputation within the region. The penalties for failing the quest remain true to a usual quest:
|Crazed Orc Mercenary - b0b10y04|
[Quester's name] of [knightly order] in [town] wants me to stop an Orc warlord bent on destroying [region]. The orc lives in a hole called [dungeon] with his troops. I have [x] days to deal with this threat and return to [knightly order].
- An alternative questline involving the Warlord is contained within the questfile, but was never implemented.
- The number of Orcs encountered increases massively the longer the Agent spends in the target dungeon, up to a maximum of:
- Orc - 200
- Orc Sergeant - 50
- Orc Shaman - 20
- NPCs will make a variety of comments referencing the quest when asked for any news:
- [Dungeon] is a perfect location for the orcs to gather -- it's so remote."
"The orcs and the renegade mages are planning something horrible for [region]."
- "The orcs have left [dungeon] suddenly. Their leader was sick or even dead."
- "[Region] was saved by the sacrifice of a brave and resourceful [player's race] mercenary."
- "The land has been cursed by the mages. It may be war, plague, famine, or all."
- "No one could do anything to stop the unholy alliance of orc and mage."
|The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall – Knight Orders|
|Allies of Daggerfall||Knights of the Dragon • Knights of the Owl|
|Allies of Wayrest||Knights of the Flame • Knights of the Rose • Order of the Raven|
|Allies of Sentinel||Host of the Horn • Knights of the Hawk • Knights of the Wheel • Order of the Candle • Order of the Scarab|
|Non-member Quests||The Traitor • The Hunter • Band of Orcs • Pest Control|
|Member Quests||Rescue a Princess • Retribution • Crazed Orc Mercenary • The Orcish Hoard • The Orc Raids • Giant Raiding • Banish the Ghost • Eternal Rest|
|Elite Member Quests||The Dragonslayer • Invasion from Oblivion • Artifact of Power • The Army of the Undead • The Lost Artifact|
|Services||Quester • Seneschal • Smith|