Raising this skill improves the effectiveness of the light armors worn, and effects of the armor, such as carry weight and stamina regeneration. The Light Armor skill is raised by reading skill books, incurring damage while light armor or clothing is equipped, or buying training.
Light armor weighs less and provides less protection than heavy armor equivalents, but enables quicker movement and a quieter sneak than Heavy Armor. It comes in several varieties, providing different aesthetics and armor ratings.
The following books provide a permanent one level up to Light Armor upon the first time reading.
- Ice and Chitin
- Jornibret's Last Dance
- Rislav the Righteous
- The Rear Guard
- Oghma Infinium - choosing the "Path of the Thief" increases all thief-oriented skills by 5, including Light Armor.
The following Miscellaneous Quest increases the Light Armor Skill:
- Defeat bandit leader for Annekke in Darkwater Crossing.
- Retrieve Amulet for Shahvee in Windhelm argonian assemblage. (Note: also increases lockpicking.)
- Retrieve Finn's Lute for Inge Six Fingers at the Bards College in Solitude. Completing this objective also increases the Alchemy, Sneak, Lockpicking, Pickpocket, and Speech skills.
The following are the confirmed light armors that will benefit from this skill:
- Chitin Armor DB - shield, helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass
- Hide Armor - shield, helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass.
- Leather Armor - helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass.
- Studded Armor - cuirass.
- Elven Armor - shield, helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass.
- Scaled Armor - helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass.
- Glass Armor - shield, helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass.
- Stalhrim Light Armor DB - shield, helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass
- Dragon Scale Armor - shield, helmet, gauntlets, boots, and cuirass.
These armors are acquired as part of a quest line or looted throughout the world. They may or may not be unique.
- Ancient Falmer Armor DG - Boots, Gauntlets, Chestpiece.
- Ancient Shrouded Armor - Head, Chestpiece, Boots, Gloves
- Blackguard's Armor DB - Head, Chestpiece, Boots, Gloves
- Shrouded Armor - Head, Chestpiece, Boots, Gloves
- Dawnguard Armor DG - Head, Boots, Gauntlets and Chestpiece.
- Deathbrand Armor DB - Head, Gauntlets, Chestpiece, Boots
- Diadem of the Savant - Head
- Forsworn Armor - Head, Gauntlets, Boots, Chestpiece
- Fur Armor - Head, Gauntlets, Boots, Chestpiece (Various Styles)
- Gloves of the Pugilist - Gloves
- Guild Master's Armor Set - Head, Chestpiece, Boots, Gloves
- Hold Guard Armor - Head, Chestpiece, Shield
- Imperial Light Armor - Head, Chestpiece, Gauntlets, Boots, Shield
- Imperial Studded Armor - Chestpiece
- Linwe's Armor - Head, Gauntlets, Boots, Chestpiece
- Miraak - Mask
- Nightingale Armor - Head, Gauntlets, Boots, Chestpiece
- Penitus Oculatus Armor - Head, Gauntlets, Boots, Chestpiece
- Savior's Hide - Chestpiece
- Scaled Horned Armor - Chestpiece
- Stormcloak Armor - Head, Chestpiece
- Stormcloak Officer Armor - Head, Chestpiece, Gauntlets, and Boots
- Thieves Guild Armor - Head, Gauntlets, Boots, Chestpiece
- Vampire Armor DG - Boots, Gauntlets and Chestpiece.
- Worn Shrouded Armor - Head, Chestpiece, Gauntlets, Boots
The following are the perks that become available to select as the skill is leveled up.
|Agile Defender (5)||Light Armor 20||Increase armor rating for Light Armor by 20% (+20% per additional rank)|
|Custom Fit||Light Armor 30, Agile Defender||25% armor bonus if wearing all Light Armor: head, chest, hands, feet|
|Unhindered||Light Armor 50, Custom Fit||Light Armor weighs nothing and doesn't slow you down when worn|
|Wind Walker||Light Armor 60, Unhindered||Stamina regenerates 50% faster in all Light Armor: head, chest, hands, feet|
|Matching Set||Light Armor 70, Custom Fit||Additional 25% Armor bonus if wearing a matched set of Light Armor.|
|Deft Movement||Light Armor 100, Wind Walker, Matching Set||10% chance of avoiding all damage from a melee attack while wearing all Light Armor: head, chest, hands, feet|
- Scouts-Many-Marshes (Adept): Windhelm.
- Grelka (Expert): The market in Riften.
- Nazir (Master): Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary or Dawnstar Sanctuary.
One way to level up Light Armor (or Heavy Armor) is to engage a Mudcrab in battle when Character Level and Health are high enough to sustain multiple hits without dying. Vitalization methods such as Restoration magic and Healing Potions can be used to restore any damage taken. Each hit causes Light Armor to increase. This method may be exhausting and long. If you have a item to block with you can also upgrade your block skill during this process.
For those who are Guildmaster of the Thieves' Guild, wearing the Amulet of Articulation when taking hits will increase Light Armor, as the Amulet counts as Light Armor. To level up the Armor skill, both Heavy and Light, don a full set of matching Light Armour (preferrably one of high quality), with good enchantments and maxed armor rating via smithing. Enchant the set with some Health Regeneration and head to either an Imperial Camp or a Stormcloak camp, depending on your choice of faction. Provoke or attack one of the soldiers and they will attack. These soldiers dont count as Hold Guards, and none ever level up with the player, so they dont do very large amounts of damage. But, each hit gives experience towards the Light or Heavy armor skill, and one can basically go do something else while the soldiers do all the work for you. A quick way of leveling up if you cant be bothered with the old fashioned way.
Another way to do this is to find a bandit dungeon and slay them all anyway you see fit, then collect all available weapons from the area. Now raise the bandits one by one and punch them a few times, they will then fight back and only be able to punch you, this will slowly build up your light armour skill and at the same time give you a boost to conjuration as well as restoration if you let heal whilst they do it.
|Skills in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
|The Mage||Alteration · Conjuration · Destruction · Enchanting · Illusion · Restoration|
|The Thief||Alchemy · Light Armor · Lockpicking · Pickpocket · Sneak · Speech|
|The Warrior||Archery · Block · Heavy Armor · One-Handed · Smithing · Two-Handed|