Dark Anchors are enormous interplanar machines that Molag Bal has created to merge Tamriel with his own Daedric Plane of Coldharbour. The purpose of the Anchors are to pull Tamriel into Coldharbour, thus merging the two realms together into a single, nightmarish hellscape. They will spawn periodically across Tamriel in set locations called Dolmens, which are in each subregion of Cyrodiil and every Alliance zone. All dolmens are protected by a large number of Daedric guardians that will appear continuously, until the Anchor is destroyed by deactivating all 5 Anchor Pinions, and killing a powerful Daedra once 4 of the 5 pinions have been deactivated.
It is possible for higher level players to defeat the Daedric protectors and return the Anchors by themselves, however it is recommended to battle them in parties, as they will be tough competitors. For each anchor that a character destroys, they will be rewarded with a bonus to the Fighters Guild skill line, progress towards achievements, and a chest of loot.
Rewards for destroying Dark Anchors are distributed evenly. Dark Anchors have a very similar use to Oblivion Gates, and they are summoned by Worm Cult Battlemages. The Fighters Guild offers rewards such as passive skills and abilities.
Aldmeri Dominion ZonesEdit
- Applewatch Wood Dolmen
- Cheydinhal Foothills Dolmen
- Eastern Shore Dolmen
- Great Forest Dolmen
- Greenmead Dolmen
- Niben Basin Dolmen
- Nibenay Valley Dolmen
- Northwestern Shore Dolmen
- Winter's Reach Dolmen
- At the end of The Wailing Prison, a dark anchor-like portal with multiple rings transports you and The Prophet to Tamriel
- A magical projection of a dark anchor is seen within the Vision of the Companions in The Harborage
- A very large dolmen is located at the top of the White-Gold Tower, and is destroyed during the related quest
- At Gil-Var-Delle in Greenshade, a dolmen is found at the center, which is destroyed during the related quest
- In Arenthia in Reaper's March, a dolmen is found in the courtyard of the Temple to the Divines and is destroyed during the related quest
- The Great Shackle, a very large Dark Anchor is found at The Mooring part of the area
- There are three dolmens located in Craglorn, all of which are unfinished and have stones jutting out in the middle. One of these dolmens is the Proving Grounds Dolmen, which is a part of the "Elemental Army" quest. The two other dolmens are unmarked, they are located southwest of the Howling Sepulchers for Upper Craglorn, and one northeast of Shada's Tear for the Belkarth Region.
- The Unfinished Dolmen in Wrothgar is a dolmen that does not have a dark anchor but serves as a Group Boss site
The following is the ritual used to summon a Dark Anchor, it is recited by Worm cultists periodically:
"Let Coldharbour remake Nirn in its own image!
God of Schemes, we offer this victim to you!
Through the power of innocent blood, bring forth your anchor and let two worlds become one!
Bind this world with your chains! Draw it ever closer to your realm!"
Once established, Molag Bal yells:
"I will dominate this world, and all others in time. The strong should always command the weak."
The Worm cultists will then either be sacrificed to Molag Bal or become alert and attack the Vestige.
- Dolmen take their name from real life Dolmen, which are ancient graves of unknown exact origin from the early Neolithic era.
- As of Patch 2.0.8, Completing a Dark Anchor for the first time will award experience.