The Dark Brotherhood Initiates are skilled assassins that show up in the Dawnstar Sanctuary after the Dragonborn successfully murders Titus Mede II. There are both male and female versions of the initiate. The Dragonborn can ask an initiate to follow them as a helper, they can follow commands, hold items and so forth. Their default weapon is a one handed dagger. There are usually two initiates available at one time.
- Main article: Multiple Followers
The Dark Brotherhood Initiate is one of the quest characters that can be exploited to follow the Dragonborn throughout Skyrim along with another follower.
- Dark Brotherhood Initiates are unable to be killed. They are "essential characters", which means they will fall to their knees when their health has been depleted and then get back up even if they are hit again while they're down.
- The Initiate will sometimes not equip better armor than their default Shrouded Armor, but will wear other armor. They will also switch to the Ancient Shrouded Armor if given to them.
- They will use any weapon given to them.
- Dark Brotherhood Initiates are the only followers in the base game, other than J'zargo, that will level with the Dragonborn above level 50.
- They may lose all the equipment given to them if the Dragonborn is sent to jail or dismisses the Initiate.
- Unlike other followers, Initiates will not fire an infinite amount of any one equipped arrow. To get an initiate to use a bow they must be given arrows.
- Their default weapon is an ebony dagger.
- They are one of the few followers whose default weapon can be taken. In this case, the initiate will run to the nearest weapon and take it.
- As with all other unkillable allies, the Dark Brotherhood Initiate will not accept Kinect "Ally" commands.
- There is an analogous type of follower (Acolyte) available to the Listener in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)