Judging by the corpses, human bones and blood splatters at the entrance, the trolls seem to have cleared out the bandits who were using the cave as their hideout. The tools and equipment scattered throughout the interior indicate that Darkshade may have once been a mine.
- Heavy Armor skill book How Orsinium Passed to the Orcs, on the top of a bedroll with an iron mace beside it, in the largest chamber with the waterfall.
- Two gold veins are in the cave, as well as another gold vein just outside.
- One vein to the right side of the hall, after the first room, but before the large room with the waterfall ontop of the overhang on the rear wall.
- One vein to the right of the waterfall, underneath the overhang.
- A Woodcutter's Axe on a pile of firewood in the large chamber.
- A chest with leveled loot.
- A Locked (Novice) chest with leveled loot.
- The Creation Kit mistakenly labels Darkshade as being in Falkreath Hold, although it is labeled as being in Whiterun Hold in the Official Game Guide.
- Darkshade is a possible location for the miscellaneous quest "Find Runil's Journal."
- It is a possible location for "Shalidor's Insights."