| Base Damage:|
| Base Value:|
|FormID: See text|
This sword is awarded after completing the quest "Baiting the Trap", as part of The Shivering Isles main quest. Kiliban Nyrandil will find the sword on the Orc Grommok; after teleporting to the room with the chest, talk to Kiliban to receive the rewards.
Dawnfang/Duskfang keeps track of enemies killed, displaying the text "Dawnfang/Duskfang has extinguished X lives." (X being the number of creatures or NPCs killed, much like Mehrunes' Razor.) Once the quota of "twelve lives extinguished" has been met and the sword's bloodthirst is satisfied, the next incarnation will be Superior, adding the effect of Absorb Health if it is Dawnfang Superior, and Absorb Magicka if it is Duskfang Superior. If it becomes, for example, Dawnfang Superior, then the next time it becomes Dawnfang it will not stay superior. Failure to nourish the blade fully reverts it to the normal version with the next incarnation.
Both versions of the blade must have charge for the nourish ability to work. If the blade has depleted to a level where no effect is caused by the blade when used then the nourish effect will not work either. Simply recharging the blade with a soul gem or at a shop will fix this.
An easy way to quench Dawnfang/Duskfang's "Bloodlust" is to use a summoning spell. Just attack whatever creature you've summoned and it will count as a life taken.
Each weapon deals a small amount of fire (Dawnfang) or frost (Duskfang) damage.
|Level||Weight||Base Value||Damage||Health||Enchantments||Charge||# of Uses||Dawnfang ID||Duskfang ID|
|1-4||19.0||60||7||98||Fire/Frost damage 3pts on strike|
|5-9||23.0||110||12||225||Fire/Frost damage 5pts on strike|
|10-14||31.0||220||17||350||Fire/Frost damage 7pts on strike|
|15-19||35.0||900||19||450||Fire/Frost damage 9pts on strike|
|20-24||39.0||1800||21||588||Fire/Frost damage 11pts on strike|
|25-29||43.0||3250||23||700||Fire/Frost damage 13pts on strike|
|30+||47.0||3750||25||825||Fire/Frost damage 15pts on strike|
The weight, damage, health, value*, fire/frost damage and Nourish Blade effect of superior versions are the same as the base weapon. The only change is more charges, and the added absorb health (Dawnfang) or magicka (Duskfang) effect.
|Level||Enchantments||Charge||# of Uses||Dawnfang ID||Duskfang ID|
|1-4||Absorb Health/Magicka 1pt for 1sec||1100||50||0007D436||0007D43D|
|5-9||Absorb Health/Magicka 2pt for 1sec||2100||55||0007D437||0007D43E|
|10-14||Absorb Health/Magicka 3pt for 1sec||3300||60||0007D438||0007D43F|
|15-19||Absorb Health/Magicka 4pt for 1sec||4800||65||0007D439||0007D440|
|20-24||Absorb Health/Magicka 5pt for 1sec||6600||70||0007D43A||0007D441|
|25-29||Absorb Health/Magicka 6pt for 1sec||8600||75||0007D43B||0007D442|
|30+||Absorb Health/Magicka 7pt for 1sec||10900||80||0007D43C||0007D443|
- If gained at a high level (30-40) it will be the most powerful longsword in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Perfect for a tank-like character with a preference for blades.
- The speed(0.9) is between a Longsword(1.0) and Claymore(0.8) making this the slowest one handed blade weapon. The speed is the same as all maces.
- The higher base damage alternates with the Amber Sword until level thirty when the base damage of Dawn/Duskfang permanently surpasses the amber swords.
- Dawnfang has an orange-hued stone set in the hilt. Orange hues are closely related to Mania in the Realm of Sheogorath suggesting a connection between Dawnfang and Mania. Conversely, Duskfang has a blue-hued stone, the color of which is related to Dementia.
- It can be duplicated using the scroll method but only the original Duskfang can only be duplicated at night.
- If the blade is enhanced beyond 100% durability through the Armorer skill it will be reset to 100% each time it changes.
- Every sunrise and sundown, when the blade is replaced, the weapon's charges and health will be completely restored.
- Though Grommok gro-Barak states in his journal that the elemental damage is increased on a superior weapon the damage is the same.
- It can be very useful for Vampires, as the notification warning the player of the change between Dawnfang/Duskfang also warns the player of day & night.
This section contains bugs related to Dawnfang/Duskfang. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- If you put either Duskfang or Dawnfang into any chest, it is possible that come nightfall or dawn, the weapon changes mode in the chest, sometimes resulting in both Duskfang and Dawnfang being in the chest.(Patched PS3 GOTY edition)
- If equipped while on a horse and dusk comes, Duskfang will be added to inventory, but Dawnfang cannot be removed, resulting in two swords.
- If an NPC disarms you of this blade, then the kill count can reset back to 0.
- The value of the level 20-24 Dawnfang Superior was set to 3250 (value of level 25-29 weapon) instead of 1800. The level 20-24 Duskfang Superior value is correctly set to 1800.
- If you have Dawnfang or Duskfang equipped when you defeat your Shadow if you ressurect him/her with console commands he/she will carry Dawnfang or Duskfang (same goes if blade is Superior) but is not hostile by killing the Shadow again you can pick up the weapon but won't be able to drop it. (The blade also stays perminately fixed to what ever it was when Shadow was ressurected.)