|Location||North of Dawnstar|
Cicero flees to the sanctuary during the quest The Cure For Madness. At the end, the Dragonborn has the choice to spare or kill Cicero, although the latter is more dangerous than he appears, for when attacked, he drops his wounded facade and fights back with surprising ferocity.
The quest "The Cure for Madness" must be completed before the sanctuary can be used.
The pass phrase is "Innocence, my brother." If an attempt is made to enter the Sanctuary before the pass phrase has been obtained from Cicero's Journal, Final Volume, the option for the correct phrase is not available and the door will reply, "You are not worthy."
- Cicero – (if he is spared during "The Cure for Madness").
- Night Mother
- Dark Brotherhood Initiate – nameless male and female assassins.
During the quest, "The Cure for Madness," spectral enemies appear in the sanctuary.
- Alteration skill book – Sithis
- Archery skill book – The Marksmanship Lesson
- One-Handed skill book – Fire and Darkness
- Sneak skill book – Sacred Witness
- Cicero's Armor – looted from Cicero's corpse, if he is killed during "The Cure for Madness" (May be pickpocketed from him with the Perfect Touch perk).
- Jester's Outfit – weaker variation of Cicero's Armor.
- Worn Shrouded Armor
- Tumblerbane Gloves
- With high Pickpocket and Sneak, large numbers of arrows can be looted from the Sanctuary Guardians; however, they cannot be looted once slain.
- After completing the Dark Brotherhood quest-line, two Daedra Hearts can be purchased from Babette inside the Sanctuary. These hearts restock every three days.
After moving to the Dawnstar Sanctuary, several upgrades can be purchased from Delvin Mallory in The Ragged Flagon. If purchased, the total upgrade cost is 19,000 . The following upgrades are available for purchase:
- Master Bedroom – contains a mannequin, bookcase, bureau, a chest, and a usable weapon rack.
- Torture Chamber – contains four prisoners who, if tortured, reveal the locations of their treasure. Each location yields between 1,000 and 2,000 . The prisoners can also be used for combat training. Afterwards, the Dragonborn will have to leave the sanctuary and return in order to wait or use the bed.
- Secret Entrance – creates a secret entrance through the stained glass window in the main hall, the exit leads to the south end of Dawnstar near the Khajiit traders.
- Alchemy Lab with a poison garden. – creates an Alchemy lab and a small garden with poison oriented flora.
- Shrouded Armor is removed from it, equipment may not be able to be added to those spots without the arms, legs and torso disappearing. The head remains, however.
Equipment placed on the mannequin in the master bedroom won't appear until after leaving and re-entering the Sanctuary. When apparel is added or removed or the
- Solution: Add the armor that is desired to be shown on the mannequin, as well as a necklace. Leave the mannequin menu, and then interact with the mannequin again. Remove the necklace and all pieces of armor will be visible again upon exiting the interaction. (If changing the armor, repeat the necklace trick as desired.)
- If the mannequin isn't on the pedestal do not attempt to activate it directly as it may freeze the game. Activate the stand instead.
- The Worn Shrouded Boots and Gloves in the Master Bedroom do not appear in the inventory when picked up. Their weight, however, is added.
- Sometimes after entering the Dawnstar Sanctuary, it will be impossible to get back out as the door has no exit highlighted.
- Alchemy table never seem to regrow, even after being away from the Sanctuary for long enough to refresh the master bedroom tribute chest. Plants next to the
- Sometimes, Cicero's dead body will remain in the torture chamber after the quest is complete and the upgrades have been purchased.
- Solution: Resurrect him, bring him somewhere where an ash pile will be inconspicuous, and kill him. Alternatively, console commands can be used to remove the body.
- Placing stolen items in the Dark Brotherhood Initiate's inventory and retaking them removes the stolen flag.
- When doing the quest The Cure For Madness, a courier may run in, get hit by a Sanctuary Guardian and run back out.
- It is possible to become stuck in the icy area that must be ventured through to reach the torture chamber after "The Cure for Madness". If the Dragonborn stands in front of the door next to the bedroom that the male Dark Brotherhood Initiate is in, they may be pushed through the wall and fall into the icy chamber underneath the Sanctuary. There is one way out; continue through the path to a torch floating in the air. Walk past it to emerge back in a hallway in the Sanctuary. Looking back, the floating torch will be seen on a wall. (It cannot be gone back through.)
- It is possible to fall through the floor, in the master bedroom, and land into the Icy Caves below the sanctuary. This only happens in some parts of the room. This can also happen next to the bed in the master bedroom.
- If any of the torture victims is hit with the Wabbajack and they transform, when they transform back, they will not move, and give off groaning sounds as if they were still shackled.
- Torture victims hit with the Ice Form Dragon Shout may also be unshackled but will remain standing.
- If you kill and loot Cicero, then revive him with the Dead Thrall spell, whenever you travel in or out of the Sanctuary, he regains his armor and can be killed and looted for it again. This can be done multiple times.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)