Degaine is a Breton beggar and an injured worker of the Cidhna Mine's smelter living in Markarth. As with any beggar, giving him 1 grants The Gift of Charity, which increases the Speech skill by 10 points for an hour.
Cosnach: "So, Degaine, tell us how you got to be crippled."
Degaine: "Mining accident, back when I was in prison for being a pickpocket."
Cosnach: "You’re lying. You’re not quick enough to be a pickpocket. What’s the real reason?"
Degaine: "Fell off the top of the cliff after a drunken party with the priestesses of Dibella."
Cosnach: "I don’t buy that story, either."
Degaine: "Too bad. That one’s my favorite."
- "Alms. I said "alms" you backbiter. Give a crippled worker a helping hand."
- "Bring more gold next time."
- "Come on, you outsiders always have plenty of gold on you. Spare a piece!"
- "Finally. Now get lost!" ―After he is given a donation.
- "How about a Septim? Wait, make that two Septims. I feel like living it up."
- "Tell everyone you see to bring me some Septims."
- Steal the Dibella Statue from the Temple of Dibella. This can start "The Heart of Dibella" quest.
- Quest all Drunks Have
This section contains bugs related to Degaine. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- It is possible he becomes bugged and it's impossible to speak with him about stealing Dibella's Statue. If this happens, one should go to the Temple of Dibella, steal the statue for him, and then bring it to him. This way, both that objective and the objective that would be added from speaking to him will both be completed.
- After giving the statue to Degaine, it may not appear in his inventory.
- Sometimes when talking to Degaine after obtaining the statue, the quest will not complete and the statue will remain in the Dragonborn's inventory.
- Sometimes, after retrieving the statue, quest finishing speech choice wont show and the quest will be stuck in the misc. quest list
- It is possible to ask for the quest again at the Silver-Blood Inn but Degaine will not have the speech option to start the quest, thus leaving the misc. quest stuck in the quest list.
- If Degaine is killed after starting the quest, "Steal the Statue of Dibella," the quest will not fail. If the statue has already been stolen, it will remain stuck as a quest item can not be removed from the inventory.
player.removeitem 0008F997 1 The solution to this is to use the console command
- The solution to this is to use the console command