Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Detect Undead, like Draugr in caves and mines.
- Spot hostile corpses before they animate.
- Search for dead enemies that haven't been looted.
- Search for dead townspeople after a dragon or vampire (only in Dawnguard) attack: if there are any, one can reload the game.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 600
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Tolfdir at the College of Winterhold sells this spell after reaching level 70 Alteration.
- Also possibly found in Yngol Barrow
- Upon entering Apocrypha (The Sallow Regent) in Dragonborn, it is possible to find the tome in the room with the 2 Seekers.
- The Spell Tome lists the spell as "Detect Undead," but in the magic inventory, it is listed as "Detect Dead."
- This spell can be very useful for finding bodies to loot after combat. It will not, however, work for remains that are not actually bodies, such as Automatons, ash piles, bird corpses, dragon priest husks, dragon skeletons, ice piles, and daedra.
- This spell can also be very useful for speed-leveling Alteration, or speed-leveling in general. First, equip gear with a total of 100% or more Fortify Alteration enchantments (to reduce the spell's magicka cost to zero). Enter a place with a few undead to detect, such as Whiterun's Hall of the Dead (three skeletons, who don't wander much). Ready the Detect Dead spell in both hands, and tape down the cast buttons, and wait.
|Candlelight • Detect Dead • Detect Life • Dragonhide • Ebonyflesh • Equilibrium • Magelight • Mass Paralysis • Midden Torch • Oakflesh |
Paralyze • Ironflesh • Stoneflesh • Telekinesis • Transmute Mineral Ore • Waterbreathing
|Ash Shell • Ash Rune|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Alteration Ritual Spell • Mage Armor • Magicka • Perks • Magic • College of Winterhold • Alteration trainers|