|Skill Level||Adept (50)|
|Effect||Nearby living creatures, but not undead, machines, or daedra, can be seen through walls.|
|Spell Tome||Quest reward|
Detect Life is an adept Alteration spell in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that enables the caster to see nearby living creatures, but not undead, those that are invisible, machines, or daedra, through walls.
- The Detect Life spell allows the user to distinguish between friendly and hostile characters through the color of the mist it uses to show their presence — hostile characters are red, and friendly characters are light blue.
- Note that the blue mist surrounding what appears to be a friendly character/creature may become red mist as the Dragonborn approaches and the character/creature becomes hostile on sight.
- Useful for stealth-oriented classes, as it can be used to find out how many foes are in the next room, then calculate an efficient plan of attack.
- Can be extremely efficient at raising Alteration, as it increases the amount of experience gain the more targets it is able to see. For example, seeing one person may take a couple of minutes to increase, while seeing two people will cut that in half. So to get the most of this spell, cast it in a major city such as the Whiterun or Riften markets.
- Weight: 1
- Value: 332
- See Spell Tome for a complete table of spell tomes, their descriptions, and their values.
- Obtained from Stalleo after completing the quest Infiltration at Treva's Watch.
- May be found in Labrynthian in the first chamber.
- May appear as random loot, and might randomly appear available for purchase from the following:
- vampire, using Detect Life while out in the day will sometimes result in limitless use of the spell, thus providing unlimited experience. As a
|Candlelight • Detect Dead • Detect Life • Dragonhide • Ebonyflesh • Equilibrium • Magelight • Mass Paralysis • Oakflesh |
Paralyze • Ironflesh • Stoneflesh • Telekinesis • Transmute Mineral Ore • Waterbreathing
|Ash Shell • Ash Rune|
|Schools of Magic|
|Alteration • Conjuration • Destruction • Illusion • Restoration|
|Alteration Ritual Spell • Mage Armor • Magicka • Perks • Magic • The College of Winterhold • Alteration trainers|