Dexion, who has been enthralled by Malkus, immediately attacks the Dragonborn and Serana. After he is defeated, he "comes to his senses" and travels to Fort Dawnguard where he will read the Elder Scroll.
Dexion must be made into a thrall by using the Vampire's Seduction power and then feeding on him. After the quest is completed, he will travel to Castle Volkihar where he will read the Elder Scroll, from now on Dexion will reside in the castle and replace the original watchman, as the first watchman disappears during the storyline.
Dexion asks the Dragonborn to retrieve two additional Elder Scrolls so that he can read the entire prophecy. Once they are retrieved, it is found that Dexion has gone blind due to his haste to read the first scroll. He sends the Dragonborn to Ancestor Glade to perform the Ritual of the Ancestor Moth to provide further answers to the prophecy.
Upon completion of the main quest-line for Dawnguard, if the Dragonborn joined the Dawnguard, he offers to take the Elder Scrolls (Sun) and (Blood) so that he may take them back to Cyrodiil and archive them in the White-Gold Tower. Alternatively, he can be persuaded to buy them for 6,000 .
If the Dragonborn joined Harkon's court, he will remain in Castle Volkihar as a servant to the Dragonborn. He can be asked two questions; however, he will not offer to purchase the Elder Scrolls from them.
- He carries a unique weapon called the Akaviri Sword. This sword is only obtainable through use of the Misdirection perk.
- After becoming blind, Dexion becomes the only character to wear a blindfold in the game.
- He wears a unique white-colored robe called Moth Priest Robes and a unique pair of shoes named Moth Priest Sandals.
What do Moth Priests do, exactly? "It is our sacred duty to study the Elder Scrolls. We read these ancient scrolls of prophecy in order to divine the future, and we use that knowledge to aid the Emperor. Sometimes we venture out into the world in search of more scrolls for our library at the White-Gold Tower. That is the very purpose that first brought me to Skyrim."
- The White-Gold Tower? "It is the great spire at the heart of the Imperial City, among the tallest towers in all of Tamriel. The lower floors are home to the Imperial Council, and the Order of Moth Priests occupies the middle floors. The tower suffered damage in the recent war with the Aldmeri Dominion, and is not what it once was. I hope one day to see it restored to its former glory."
What do you know about the Elder Scrolls? "Not as much as I would like. Even after spending decades of my life in study of the Elder Scrolls, they remain a great mystery to me. It's true for most of my brothers in the order as well. We don't really know where the scrolls came from or who wrote them. What we do know is that some are born with the special gift to read the Elder Scrolls. These chosen few can divine events of the past and future within the scrolls, though in time, it drives us to blindness. I'm afraid there's not much more to tell. Even today, the Elder Scrolls remain a great enigma."
Are you alright? "I'm quite alright, thanks to you. Dexion Evicus is my name. I'm a Moth Priest of the White Gold Tower. These vampires claimed they had some purpose in store for me, but they wouldn't say what. Probably hoping to ransom me, the fools."
"Now tell me, whom do you represent, and what do you want with me?"
(After arriving at Fort Dawnguard)
Glad you made it here safely, Dexion. "Ah, my rescuer! It's good to see you again."
(After the Dragonborn has made him their thrall)
"By the divines! It's as if my eyes have been opened! I am blinded by the light of your majesty. I... I must obey you. What would you have of me, master?"
(Speaking to him after arriving at Castle Volkihar)
|Show: Seeking Disclosure|
|If the Dragonborn is part of Dawnguard:
I've brought the Elder Scrolls. "I'm sorry, my friend. I can no longer be of use in this matter."
If the Dragonborn is a vampire of the Volkihar Clan:
I've brought the Elder Scrolls. "I'm afraid I won't be able to help you with the scrolls any longer,. Please, don't be angry with me."
|Show: Post Kindred Judgment|
The Elder Scrolls have served me well, Dexion. "Of course they did. I never doubted for a moment. If I may ask, what will you do with them now?"
Malkus: "The more you fight me, the more you will suffer, mortal."
Dexion: "I will resist you, monster. I must!"
Malkus: "How much longer can you keep this up, Moth Priest? Your mind was strong, but you're exhausted from the struggle."
Dexion: "Must... resist..."
Malkus: "Yes, I can feel your defenses crumbling. You want it to end. You want to give in to me. Now, acknowledge me as your master!"
Dexion: "Yes. master."
Dexion: "It's over. He's dead, and the prophecy dies with him. I... I suppose this is difficult for you."
Serana: "I think my father really died a long time ago. This was just... the end of something else. I did what needed to be done. Nothing more."
Dexion: "I think perhaps... I think you did more than that. You have my thanks."
Elder Scroll readingEdit
"I see a vision before me, an image of a great bow. I know this weapon! It is Auriel's Bow! Now a voice whispers, saying "Among the night's children, a dread lord will rise." In an age of strife, when dragons return to the realm of men, darkness will mingle with light and the night and day will be as one.
The voice fades and the words begin to shimmer and distort. But wait, there is more here. The secret of the bow's power is written elsewhere. I think there is more to the prophecy, recorded in other scrolls. Yes, I see them now... One contains the ancient secrets of the dragons, and the other speaks of the potency of ancient blood.
My vision darkens, and I see no more. To know the complete prophecy, we must have the other two scrolls."
- "I serve my master's will. But my master is dead, and his enemies will pay!" — During "Prophet"
- "Wait, stop! I yield! That... that wasn't me you were fighting. I could see through my eyes, but I could not control my actions. Thank you for breaking that foul vampire's hold over me." — During "Prophet" (Dawnguard side)
- "Can you imagine it? A world without sun... we would all be doomed, vampires and men alike."
- "Once again, the Elder Scrolls have proven their value."
- "Harkon's short-sightedness was his undoing. In his lust for power, he failed to see the full extent of his actions"
- In The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, Dexion will still buy the Elder Scrolls if he becomes a servant to Castle Volkihar. confirmation needed
This section contains bugs related to Dexion Evicus. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
He may become hostile and refuse dialogue, thus halting the progress in the quest.
- Fix: Do not kill or attack the imperial corpse called "Vampire Corpse" in any way (strike with a sword, conjure, use destruction magic, etc.), even if the corpse is already dead. If raised by a vampire, then kill the vampire instead. When Dexion is released from the Magical Barrier, wait until the quest gives the objective to "Defeat the enthralled Dexion."
- Fix: If this is another play-through, and one is traveling to the cave, have the quest active. After heading south from Dragon's Bridge, one will come upon a broken carriage with two corpses. One corpse is an Imperial Soldier and the other is a Vampire corpse. There is a note on the Vampire corpse. Take the note and read it.
- Fix: Use the Vampire's Seduction power on him to temporary revoke his hostile status.
- Fix: Use a Calm spell or scroll to make him non hostile. If an Imperial, use the Voice of the Emperor to calm him for a short period of time. After it wears off, step outside and wait 24 hours and do it again. The spell or effect has to be powerful enough to work on the Dragonborn, as Dexion spawns at the same level.
- wait until five hours elapse. If the game was saved while in the cave, go outside and wait for several hours (suggested 5+) and reenter. The "Defeat the enthralled Moth Priest" stage script should run normally after freeing the priest. Solution through normal game-play: If one is outside the cave,
- Fix: If the option "defeat the enthralled Moth Priest" does not show, load older save (before the Dragonborn used Weystone Focus). Kill Malkus and others, then pick Weystone Focus (but do not use it). Use the console command
tcland speak with the Moth Priest. Wait 1 hour; he will disappear from the magical barrier. Travel to Fort Dawnguard and then use the command
setstage DLC1VQ03Hunter 100..
- Solution through console: Instead of using the Weystone Focus on the altar to deactivate the barrier (which is the cause of him going hostile), use the console to deactivate the barrier. This way, Dexion will not become hostile. The quest marker for deactivating the barrier will still remain, but it will disappear once the quest is finished.
ID 02007b88(this can be obtained from clicking on him while console is open or typing
pridto manually enter) Summon him outside the keep via console command
moveto player, then use the
setav aggression 0console command on him as he walks back inside. This will reset his hostility meter. Solution through console: using the
- Seeking Disclosure" has been completed, despite being blind and not actually having an Elder Scroll in his hands.
He can occasionally be seen in the center of the Dawnguard fortress doing the animation for reading an Elder Scroll after the quest "
- Fix: Talking to him will cause him to quit the animation.
- Urag gro-Shub will still purchase them, though. Gold from selling the scrolls may appear in the inventory even if the scrolls are not removed.
After the Dawnguard main quest is completed, the Dragonborn should have the ability to sell all three of the Elder Scrolls to Dexion. However, the speech option may not appear.
- In case they cannot be sold, using the console command
completequest dlc1vqelderquestitemhandlerwill allow all three scrolls to be dropped.
- In case they cannot be sold, using the console command
- At the end of "Prophet," he may not progress dialogue after reading the Elder Scroll. If reloading does not help, enter
/setstage DLC1VQ03Hunter 200into the console to complete the quest.
- If Dexion continues to be hostile, enter
prid xx007B88to select him. Then, use
setav aggression 0to remove his hostility.
- If Dexion continues to be hostile, use the console to disable the hostile Dexion. Afterwards, type in
help Dexion 4to look up his ID and use the console command
placeatme ####. He will spawn in the cell he was disabled from. If more than one appears, click on the extra Dexion and type in
- It is possible to force him to continue the questline by using a fully powered Bend Will shout and interacting with him the second he sheathes his sword. He will continue to attack after the Dragonborn is done interacting with him, however. If he is down on one knee, use restorative magic to recover his health, then perform the Bend Will shout again.