She is a priestess of the Temple of Mara. If the Dragonborn requests Mara's blessing from her, she tells them that she will do so only after they help fulfill Mara's will.
- "Visiting Riften? All are welcome at the Temple of Mara."
- "Pleased to meet you, I'm a priestess at the Temple of Mara."
Maramal "They laughed at me again, Dinya. They simply don't understand."
Dinya "I'm so sorry my husband. You must remember, they're at the Bee and Barb to drink, not to listen to a sermon."
Maramal "Yes, yes, I know. I just wish to show them there's more to life than drowning your sorrows in a goblet of mead."
Dinya "You're a good man, Maramal. We're lucky to have you watching over us."
Maramal "It fills me with joy to hear you're with child, Dinya. They said it wouldn't... that it couldn't happen, but Mara has shown them they're mistake."
Dinya "And to think I was wandering the ash wastes only two years ago. I never knew my path would lead to you."
Maramal "You were guided here; you were always meant to be here. That's the way of things."
Dinya "Then I thank Lady Mara with all my heart; for you, for our child and for our love."
Dinya "When are you going to stop by the temple, Madesi?"
Madesi "Sorry Lady Dinya, but I've been busy of late."
Dinya "It only takes but a moment to say a silent prayer to Mara. Please come by soon; not for me, but for yourself."
Madesi "Very well, I'll try milady."
Brand-Shei "Dinya, about that incense you requested? Its not arriving anytime soon. The Khajiit caravans are having tough times getting through."
Dinya "That's a shame. What's causing them all the trouble?"
Brand-Shei "There's the stories about Helgen, bandits, skirmishes between the Stormcloaks and the Imperials... it almost seems endless."
Dinya "Chin up, Brand-Shei. Lady Mara will provide us strength and guidance through these difficult times."
Marise "Dinya? I was reading that missive you gave me and I was wondering something about marriage."
Dinya "Feel free to ask me anything you like."
Marise "There's someone I like very much in Riften. I think I'd like to marry him someday, but... well, he's not of my kind. Would Mara be angry?"
Dinya "No, no... not at all. Mara believes that the spark of a union comes from inside us, not from our appearance. Tell you what... if you still feel unsure, come by the temple sometime and we'll talk about it."
When asked if the player can get Mara's blessings, Balu replies that only those that would spread love throughout Skyrim can be granted this blessing, accepting to do so starts the quest. After the uniting of each couple, Dinya Balu must be spoken to to receive another section of the quest.
She also gives a miscellaneous quest in which the Dragonborn must distribute The Warmth of Mara within Riften. To complete this, the Dragonborn must talk to 20 different Riften residents and give them The Warmth of Mara leaflets. Despite the fact that their reactions are very different, it does not affect the further interactions with them.
Following is a (non-exhaustive) list of citizens that will accept the book:
- Asbjorn Fire-Tamer
- Asgeir Snow-Shod
- Bersi Honey-Hand
- Grelod the Kind
- Hemming Black-Briar
- Hofgrir Horse-Crusher
- Ingun Black-Briar
- Louis Letrush
- Maven Black-Briar
- Mjoll the Lioness
- Molgrom Twice-Killed
- Niluva Hlaalu
- Nura Snow-Shod
- Romlyn Dreth
- Sibbi Black-Briar
- Svana Far-Shield
- Tythis Ulen
- Vipir the Fleet
- Vulwulf Snow-Shod
- Dinya is married to Maramal, which is shown through dialogue.
- After completing "The Book of Love," she and Maramal will discuss her being "with child." If the Dragonborn follows the conversation, it will be revealed that Maramal is the father and the two are in love.
- There are no "citizens" willing to accept the book within Mistveil Keep. If after the player finished the Imperial Legion questline to regain the Rift, Maven will be the Jarl and she will accept the pamphlet.
- When asked about Mara, Dinya states that Mara is the handmaiden of Kyne, although this particular name for Kynareth is usually only in use by the Nords.
- It is not possible to get the Book of Love quest while Dinya wanders the marketplace; she will only offer random comments. Dinya Balu must be spoken to when she is in the Temple in order to start the quest.
This section contains bugs related to Dinya Balu. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following: