Dirge works as a bouncer for The Ragged Flagon, the underground tavern that the Guild uses as a base of operations. In the Ragged Flagon, he can be found in the front of the bar next to the sign on the bridge, or sitting down at one of the tables eating. He is quite muscular and never sleeps.
If the Dragonborn asks about his name, he explains that it is "the last thing you hear before they put you in the ground," and then asks if they have problem with his name. He can be persuaded or intimidated for a bottle of Black-Briar Mead. He can also be asked about the The Ratway Warrens and Esbern during "A Cornered Rat", to which he threatens the Dragonborn with death, telling them about the last person that messed with Vekel the Man.
If the Dragonborn is being chased by an NPC or any Riften Guards, they will follow him into the Thieves Guild, and if they then proceeds into The Ragged Flagon, where Dirge can be found, the entire Thieves Guild will then begin to attack the Riften Guards, and during the process of this all, Dirge is one of the few members of the Thieves Guild who can die in combat, while all the others simply get knocked-down or stunned, but then stand back up after a short period of time.
Dirge most often has a Horker Loaf in his inventory and usually eats bread when not at his post. His inventory includes Leather armor, boots, and bracers. He also has a Steel War Axe and a randomly generated item.
- "The last person that made trouble for Vekel ended up floating in the canal...catch my drift?"
- "Even if you're one of us, you better not cause trouble."'
- "Stay out of trouble, or there's gonna be trouble."'
- "The last person who made trouble for Vekel ended up with a smashed head."
- "Vekel doesn't like strangers snooping around the Flaggon."
- "There are two things to do at the Flaggon: spend the coin' and then get out."
- During a conversation with Delvin involving the acquisition of a dwarven hammer, Delvin attempts to cheat Dirge out of an extra 100 septims. For some reason, Dirge then says, "Vekel, you have no shame."
- Sometimes, Dirge cannot be intimidated even with 100 Speech skill and Intimidation perk.
- Even after becoming the Guildmaster, he will still say "I don't care if you're best buddies with the Guildmaster. I'll still smash your skull if you try anything."
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (First appearance)