Light and Heavy variants of Dragon Armor can be forged from Dragon Bones and dragon scales. The Dragon Smithing perk must be acquired before this armor type can be crafted. The perk requires a Smithing level of 100.
Starting around level 50, Dragon Armor pieces can be found as random loot from chests and containers. Armor pieces can be found at lower levels if the Dragon Armor perk is acquired before reaching level 50. Although it is quite rare, pieces of the set can be found as early as level 24, even without the aforementioned perk. Occasionally, some merchants will stock Dragon Armor.
Compared with other armor typesEdit
Overall, Dragon Armor is cheaper to craft and lighter than other armor types with high defense ratings.
Daedric armor has a higher armor rating than Dragonplate Armor at its base value and retains its higher rating, even when both armors have been upgraded to Legendary status (but just by a small margin). However, with its lower weight, Dragon Armor is the more suitable choice when lacking proper Heavy Armor perks.
Dragonscale Armor has a superior armor rating to Glass armor, but a higher weight. Once upgraded, Dragonscale armor remains with a higher rating but still only by about 7, making the weight difference a problem, even though the full Dragonscale set weighs less than the chestplate of Iron armor. It should also be noted that with the right perks invested in Light Armor, the Dragonscale armor will render the Glass armor useless, as it will have a much higher rate.
Attributes by pieceEdit
|Piece||Dragon Scales||Dragon Bone||Leather Strips||ID|
|Total (with shield)||136||79||6650||13||6||10||–|
|Total (without shield)||102||64||5500||10||5||9||–|
|Piece||Dragon Scales||Leather Strips||Leather||Iron Ingot||ID|
|Total (with shield)||111||26||3600||14||10||4||7||–|
|Total (without shield)||82||20||2850||10||8||4||5||–|
- Occasionally, when walking by a guard, they whistle and say "Is your armor made of... dragon bones/scales? By the gods, what I wouldn't do for a set of that."
- Argonians may occasionally make a comment if wearing Dragonscale armor, saying "You remind me of the Shadowscales, from old history."
This section contains bugs related to Dragon Armor (Skyrim). Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Khajiit or Argonians, their cranial features and tails might disappear or function abnormally. When worn by bestial races, such as
- If worn by a horned Argonian, the back portion of the Dragonscale Helmet, as well as the Argonian's horns, will disappear leaving the back of the head exposed.
- If worn by a Khajiit with ear tufts, the areas where the ears would be on the Dragonscale Helmet, as well as the Khajiit's ears, will disappear.
- One of the armor plates on the back of the helmet are missing for Argonians and Khajiit.
- The Dragonplate Helmet will clip into the forehead, showing the hair on the top of the head. Even having no hair (i.e. shaved), and wearing the helmet still causes this bug to occur.