After recruiting three followers into the Blades, Delphine will tell the Dragonborn to talk to Esbern about doing some Dragon Hunting. If there are no Dragon Scales and Dragon Bones in inventory, he can be asked if he knows about a new location with a dragon present. Assuming he does, killing this dragon with the new recruits will yield scales and bones.
Once the two are in inventory, upon approaching Esbern in Sky Haven Temple, he will ask the Dragonborn to provide him with dragon scales and dragon bones for his research (one of each). Upon obtaining the scales and bones, Esbern will reward the Dragonborn with Esbern's Potion. Drinking it will grant the Dragon Infusion ability, a permanent 25% resistance to the melee attacks of dragons.
This section contains bugs related to Dragon Research. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- patch 1.9, Esbern's Potion did not add the intended effect.
- PC users that haven't updated can add the perk manually using the console by typing "player.addspell f5ffa".
- Before patch 1.9, "Bring a Dragon Scale and a Dragon Bone to Esbern" would not disappear from the Miscellaneous Quest list after being delivered.
- It seems that Esbern will occasionally direct the Dragonborn towards a dragon to kill, even if it was already killed before obtaining the quest. The quest is unable to be completed until the dragon respawns.
- Sometimes, if the Dragonborn kills the dragon Esbern would point them to before the quest actually begins, it will carry on as normal and the quest "Tell Esbern the Dragon at (location) is dead" will appear in the miscellaneous section of the Quest Journal. Returning to Esbern has him act as if the quest was started normally.