|Quest Giver||Jarl Balgruuf|
The Western Watchtower outside Whiterun
|Prerequisite||Bleak Falls Barrow|
|Next Quest||The Way of the Voice|
|Reward||Thane of Whiterun|
Axe of Whiterun
Dragon Shout (Unrelenting Force)
Progress in storyline
WalkthroughFollow Irileth to the Western Watchtower, which was attacked by Mirmulnir. Many men from the Whiterun garrison accompany the Dragonborn and Irileth in battle with the Dragon.
Use the debris of the wrecked tower for cover, or climb to the tower's summit. From either location, use ranged weapons or spells to attack Mirmulnir. Once his health drops to below half, he should land, allowing melee attacks against him. Irileth and the guards may be able to distract Mirmulnir, long enough for a melee-oriented Dragonborn to attack from the flank or behind. Beware of Mirmulnir's deadly Fire Breath shout.
After Mirmulnir is defeated, the player character absorbs his soul, much to the surprise and astonishment of the soldiers, who proclaim that they must be a legendary "Dragonborn." Irileth, who is skeptical about the theory, tells the Dragonborn to report back to the Jarl. On the way back, they hear a loud sound. Jarl Balgruuf explains it to be the Greybeards calling them to High Hrothgar, and explains what it means to be a Dragonborn.
After completion of this quest, Dragons will begin appearing in the wild and attacking the Dragonborn at random.
- Waiting to complete this quest until later in the game can be useful to some players. The random dragon attacks can kill non-essential NPCs who still have favor activities or quests, make travel difficult, or simply annoy the player with the frequency of attacks.
- Tor is only mentioned during this quest. He was picked up and eaten by the Dragon. Whiterun guard armor can be found on the Dragon's corpse, and it is most likely Tor's armor. A Hroki is also mentioned, but there is no knowledge of what happened to him or her. There is also a Hroki inside Markarth, but this is merely coincidental.
- It's not necessary to wait for Jarl Balgruuf to make his speech before going to fight Mirmulnir. As soon as Irileth interrupts Farengar, the player can go to the Western Watchtower, and a quest marker will already be there.
- Before starting this quest, the Western Watchtower is an unmarked location and is already destroyed, but without the fire.
I recovered the Dragonstone from Bleak Falls Barrow, as the Jarl of Whiterun requested. I should speak to him about my reward.
A dragon has been sighted near Whiterun. Irileth, the Jarl's housecarl, asked me to come with her to discuss the situation with Jarl Balgruuf.
A dragon has been sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf has sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements.
A dragon was sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements. The dragon attacked us and we killed it. We should investigate its corpse to see if we can learn anything about where it came from.
A dragon was sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements. The dragon attacked us and we killed it. When I approached the dragon's corpse, I absorbed some kind of power from it. I should return to Whiterun and tell the Jarl what happened.
A dragon was sighted at a watchtower near Whiterun. Jarl Balgruuf sent me along with his housecarl Irileth with reinforcements. The dragon attacked us and we killed it. When I approached the dragon's corpse, I absorbed some kind of power from it. When I returned to Whiterun, the Jarl rewarded me for my services. I am now a Thane of Whiterun with my own personal housecarl.
This section contains bugs related to Dragon Rising. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- Lydia, the housecarl, does not appear and cannot be found. To fix this bug, open the console and type:
player.placeatme 000A2C8E Sometimes
- Sometimes after killing the Dragon, no dialogue is initiated and no shout is performed.
- Unrelenting Force was learned. Sometimes when killing Mirmulnir, instead of saying Dragon Soul absorbed, it says that the first word of
- Sometimes Irileth will not run into Dragonsreach with info on the dragon sighting, preventing the quest from starting. This only seems to happen when talking to Farengar about the Dragonstone BEFORE obtaining it. Obtaining the Dragonstone before the first visit to Dragonsreach prevents this problem, as all the essential NPCs are already inside Dragonsreach. It is unclear if the bug only occurs in modded games (including official DLCs), or whether it is actually a vanilla problem. If the quest does not start, even using the 'SetStage' console command will not help start it.
- This quest has a chance of becoming bugged if done at a high level (15 or higher, when Mirmulnir spawns as a Blood Dragon). Mirmulnir will kill the guards in one attack and sometimes kill them faster than they respawn, resulting in no dialogue initiated when the Dragon dies.
- There is a bug where you cannot take the soul from Mirmulnir; if this happens, you can download the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch and that fixes the problem. (If you use console commands to advance the quest, dragons will not naturally spawn in the game world.)
| Dragon Soul|
Absorb a dragon soul
|Skyrim Main Quests|
|Act I||Unbound • Before the Storm • Bleak Falls Barrow • Dragon Rising • The Way of the Voice |
The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller
|Act II||A Blade in the Dark • Diplomatic Immunity • A Cornered Rat • Alduin's Wall • The Throat of the World |
Elder Knowledge • Alduin's Bane
|Act III||Season Unending • The Fallen • The World-Eater's Eyrie • Sovngarde |
Dragonslayer • Epilogue